1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

something took a bite out of my duck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coltssuperbowl83, Sep 30, 2016.

1. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    He was in the pond. Maybe a snapping turtle. Can see the muscles and organs but none of f them are punctured. Skin is just missing. ?. Any ideas?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    @Amiga

How is your duck doing?
    Do you have any photos of the wound?

Vet care would be best if you are seeing internal organs.

3. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    No pic. Not yet at least. His organs aren't punctured though...his skin just disappeared. ?

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm not sure how you would treat that.
    Do you know which organs are exposed?
    How large of an area is it?

I would think organs would need to be kept moist somehow. Keeping infection at bay would be a big concern.

Cleaning/flushing with betadine is my first thought. A sterile pad with plain Neosporin, Bacitracin or Vetericyn held in place with vet wrap would be my next step. This may help keep things from drying out too quickly and keep the wound clean.

Make sure he is drinking. Dehydration can come on quickly.

Just my thoughts.

keep us posted.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks for tagging me, Wyorp Rock.

Ducks can recover from serious injury.

I am thinking there needs to be a balance between not letting tissue dry out, but letting air get to it... I like Wyorp's ideas . . .

Wondering if an antibiotic cream instead of ointment (that is petroleum jelly based) for a little more air.

Rinsing with mild saline solution really helps these wounds, from what I have read.

Keep the duck indoors, so flies cannot get to the wound. Storey's Guide recommends trimming feathers about half an inch from the edge of the wound - so you can see better and get to the injured area better with treatment.

Is the duck eating and drinking? I would add electrolytes to the water.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by