Something tore my little duck to SHREDS!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by petitesphinx, Sep 11, 2008.

1. petitesphinx

petitesphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Alabama
    So I was only counting 12 ducklings-not 13 today and my 10 year old son was helping me look for him..........and eeeek! He found him!

My little baby duck was torn to shreds. His feathers in a pile, only a leg and his organs all over the ground. [​IMG]

If it was a coyote, wouldn't it just take the whole thing? Not leave parts of it? We have a horse and a donkey in the same pasture using the same pond. Do you think the horse or donkey could have stomped it?

We (I am) are sooo sad. These little guys are like my babies!! And I'm more upset not knowing what did this to my little guy! Are the others safe?

Sad and heartbroken..

It was my beautiful white one on the left:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sweet one on the right here eating from my hands..

[​IMG]

Ugg

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sorry you lost your duck. This is the reason mine are kept penned all the time. That's the only way to protect them from predators.

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I am so sorry. I dont know what I would do if I lost my only duck. I hope you find what did it and take care of it.

4. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I'm so sorry for you. I know how it hurts to find them like this! I think a lot of predators will leave "pieces" that we just wouldn't think of. My Barred Rock Roo was taken today too by bears & you'd not believe the feathers & pieces left. I understand how you feel believe me... The pond that they're using is it large enough for them to take to if there is a predator there? I think ducks normally take to the water if there's a threat right? Maybe put a island of some kind in the center so they have a place to go & stay if they need to? When I think of ducks I think of them on a pond not really in a pen though I can see that a pen would be alot more safe for them. Still a duck on a pond just seems natural like a fish in water..

5. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I am so sorry too! Hopefully what ever it was is full and wont come back! [​IMG]

6. petitesphinx

Aug 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Quote:Yes, I think the pond is big enough; I hope it is. An island would a be a nice thing....hopefully hubby can figure out how to build one.

Here is the pond:

[​IMG]

And here is their duck house, but they don't use it yet (it was built last Saturday)...

[​IMG]

7. Mom2Cool

May 8, 2008
    Quote:Yes, I think the pond is big enough; I hope it is. An island would a be a nice thing....hopefully hubby can figure out how to build one.

Here is the pond:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/14699_pond-duck-house.jpg

And here is their duck house, but they don't use it yet (it was built last Saturday)...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/14699_duck-house.jpg

Oh just lovely! And see I'm sorry but having such a pond it just doesn't seem right to pen them up. I don't know how it could be done but I've seen ponds with the island that are the same size as yours and it puts distance between the ducks and any predator with the exception of perhaps a snapping turtle or a hawk. I would pen them in the mean time until it can be figured out. I don't remember if you'd said where you are & so I don't know if you've got a cold season about to hit you & if so it might not be a realistic thing to have happen until next spring... And so in the mean time I would pen them if you can especially since you don't know what did this. You could use an electric fence around the pond too but if it's something that can and will dig under it might not work, though that would give the ducks time to take to the water until help came to them. Taking to the water is a ducks natural defense against predators. Anyway if it were me I would pen them & where ever you put them include the new housing you have for them so they get the idea of what it's for. If the pond is something that freezes over they may need to be moved during winter anyway as that would take away their protection too. As for a island I would think that a couple or large boulder rocks on the bottom would work to start to build it up & then the top could eventually have a regular grass surface and I would then put the duck housing *out on the island* so THAT is where they go for rest etc. You could actually set up their feeding & such out there too and well with the pond there you wouldn't have to worry about them with water available for feeding time. I've actually seen this some where & now it's gonna make me nuts. LOL I think the people actually had a small row boat set at the edge so they could go back & forth for maintance & feeding dishes etc. Esthetically it was very country like and just adorable! I'm thinking it was in "country living Magazine" or somethine magazine like that. I'll look around here and see if I can find it.

8. Mom2Cool

May 8, 2008
    ok well I thought at one time there were pictures & now there seems to be just one but there's instructions on how to make them. They also had instruction for "floating islands" to make (using PVC pipe?) &/or they have them ready made on another site where you can find a place to buy them. They can actually be quiet pretty, though the floating ones I'm not sure how much weight they could hold but since people are using them for plantings & "turf islands" & such I imagine it must carry some weight... anyway here's the website for "Living the Country Life" where they have the article.

http://www.livingthecountrylife.com/ponds/building-a-pond-island/?page=1

And here is a link to the photo gallery at Freedom Ponds.

http://www.freedomponds.com/scripts/gallery/index.php

Let me know if you all use this & I might give it a whirl myself

9. petitesphinx

Aug 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Oh wow!

Those ideas are incredible! I've seen the floating wood bottoms before, but I love the idea of growing grass over the island...it looks wonderful!

Thank you, I'll show these to hubby and see what he can come up with.

Keep me posted on yours!

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    So sorry for your loss.

White duck . . . could he have been taken by a hawk? I have often wondered if white birds are more targeted by airborne predators. Just a thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by