Something under the brooder...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by classroomducks, Nov 16, 2009.

1. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I need something absorbent to put under my brooder. The water drips through the bottom of the brooder and to a catcher underneath. Previously I've had kitty litter under there. It worked for a week or so, but now they are just dumping so much water that the litter cant absorb it. I know that wifezilla, you used stove pellets in your brooder, but i dont know what those are or if they would work for the massive amounts of water these babies are dumping. I suppose I could just try towels, but that doesnt sound like it would be absorbent enough...any ideas? or is this just going to be a trial and error thing.

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I'm not sure what you're trying to do, so don't know why this is happening. Are you raising little ducklings that you recently hatched? They are sure to be messy with their water. Perhaps you could move them to a big plastic bin filled with shavings. Raise one end slightly so the spilled water will collect on one end. Have a second bin handy so you always have a clean, dry one handy when you need to hose out the first one. What are you using to hold their water? Place it on the low end of the bin so all the mess is contained there. Ducklings grow fast, where are they going next?

3. classroomducks

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    They are in a very large brooder. They are two weeks old. The broder floor is made of chicken wire and screen mesh lined with shelf liner. The problem im having is there is a pull out type shelf that is under the brooder to catch all the water. The brooder itself is dry. But they are dumping a large amount of their water and it is falling through to the underneath catch. This is what it is supposed to do. But i need something to put in the catch that is more absorbent than kitty litter. I have kitty litter under there currently and it just isnt absorbent enough, so the water overflowing out of the catch now. I think i might just try stuffing towels under there...that has to be better than the kitty litter...not sure though...

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I've never tried keeping ducks in that type of set-up. They just grow so big very fast, as you see, and are so vigorous they're sure to make a mess. Do they keep tipping over their water container, or is the spillage from their drinking & gargling? How much longer do you plan to keep them in this brooder? Maybe you just need to hasten them into their next place of lodging.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Just go to Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc... and ask for wood stove pellets. They are about $4 for a 40lb bag.

6. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Maybe you could also put a plastic bin under brooder to catch excess water. Like the kind that goes under the bed. Not sure how much room you have underneath, but this may help.

7. classroomducks

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    what do you do with the stove pellets after they are soaked? Do you just garbage them? or can they go out on the grass?

8. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    This is something I can weigh in on...my horse trainer uses them in her stalls. The wood pellets are very absorbent and will expand greatly with water. As long as what you get is not made from pine or other conifers (you should be able to tell by the smell) they should be safe for your grass...she spreads hers on her field after it has been in the compost heap for a while. Now if you get these and you still have a watery mess, I'd have to agree with whoever said to move them on to other living arrangements...if they are spilling more water than a horse can pee, that is about all you can do!

Don't use the wood pellets where the ducks can reach them, however...some animals will eat them. This is why I personally do not use them with my horses.

Here's another thought from my friend who has hatched out literally hundreds of birds of several barnfowl species: she says to use great caution if using the plastic tubs as brooders. She has known the heat lamps/even regular bulbs providing heat for hatchlings to cause the plastic to degrade and give off noxious fumes in some cases. Says the plastic tubs are not a good idea if you are using them repeatedly, especially.

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I put them on the compost pile.

10. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    can the birds get to whatever you're using to absorb spilled water?? or is it under the brooder?? if they can't get to it, and you want something easier to handle, what about puppy training pads?? or a couple cheap generic baby diapers.. those things hold a TON of water... not great on the environment though..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by