1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Something Unexpected! (Warning to those on dial-up, Photos Included.)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Tutter, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    I've always had standard goats. Well, once I had a pygmy for a while. But mostly various Alpines, Toggies, Nubians etc.

Until I was called to get 4 goats who needed homes immediately. So, dropped were the major garden projects, dropped were the new coops, run and brood pen (27 chicks arriving Monday.) and up went a goat pen!

And, these are all small goats. I'm not going to tell you who's supposed to be what breed, you tell me. I know what I was told, and what I think.

Miss Prissy, I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I need to stop making my soap, and start with a new recipe. You mentioned having a good one for goat's milk soap. Well, one of the girls is giving milk, and a good amount, considering her size. Between 1 and 2 quarts a day....plenty for soap! Do you think that you could share the soap recipe, when you get a free minute? I'd appreciate it.

Okey dokey, here we go!

Doe #1:

[​IMG]

Doe #2:

[​IMG]

Buck:

[​IMG]

This shows size of buck; size of buck compared to doe, and shows the buck being an absolute sweetheart:

[​IMG]

Buckling, 4 months old:

[​IMG]

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Oh, my - they are adorable and GOLD and the blue eyes are killer! Congrats!

3. Kittikity

Kittikity Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Wow, I love that golden color..

4. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    Thank you, Helmstead! [​IMG]

In goats the blue are are dominant, so you can get a blue eyed baby from a blue eyed parent, and a brown eyed parent. I was tickled that both boys are blue eyed. [​IMG]

Thank you, Kittikity! [​IMG]

5. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Yup - check out our new registered Nigi buckling who is going to be coming home soon [​IMG] I've wanted blue eyes for SO long. Very exciting.

[​IMG]

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Nigerians and fainters are the only breeds with blue eyes. Given the coloring and the milking ability, I'd say you have Nigis or nigi crosse.

7. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I just love the 2nd doe! What a sweet face-makes her look really innocent! [​IMG] I can't wait til we're able to get goats!

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Shelly

8. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    You need to name that buck Brad Pitt... he has the hair!! They are adorable!!

9. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Hey that Buck looks a little like Billy Ray Cyrus. Hahahahah the hair and goatee.

They are all adorable!!!!!!

If you mail the soap out i'd like to try the goat milk soap.

10. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Quote:Haha....didn't even think about Brad Pitt......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by