1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Something unusual happened here today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buster, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I went outside to check feed and water for my 23 hens, 10 chicks, 6 roosters, 4 duck hens, and 2 drakes, and I FOUND THREE EGGS! I was astounded. The only thing that's laid an egg in the last 6 weeks was a turkey and we ate that yesterday. About a week ago we strung up lights on a timer like we had set up last year and apparently it's starting to work. Maybe these free loaders will start producing for me again.

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG] [​IMG] CONGRATS ON THE EGG [​IMG]

Way to go freeloaders [​IMG] [​IMG]

The light thing works good for a lot of hens, just make sure you give them some dark time !!

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    [​IMG]

Congrats on the eggs!!

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Yeah I'm sold on the lights after last winter when my birds were laying in negative temps. I have them on a timer that comes on at 3 am and turns off at 6 pm and it seems to be working well.

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Yeah I'm sold on the lights after last winter when my birds were laying in negative temps. I have them on a timer that comes on at 3 am and turns off at 6 pm and it seems to be working well.

Yah me to, mine come on at 6am and off at 8pm, seems to be working good !!

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Uhh oh, early winter eggs. That's a bad sign. [​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    "And the Lord God said, 'Let there be light(s)"... and there were EGGS!!!!

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I bet it was those 2 Drakes and 1 roo!

[​IMG]

We have less chickens than you - LOL - I we have 16 hens, 2 roo's. Our ducks are still too young but getting there........

We got 6 eggs yesterday and 4 today, we're on a roll... we get at least 2 a day now - a few hens are molting.

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

You guys are cracking me up.

Funny how last November I just had one little banty rooster and I have now, at one point, had 50 chickens, 6 ducks, 2 turkeys, 3 brooders and 3 incubators with a whole bunch of eggs in them. (Not to mention the 10 puppies, 1 pig, and 7 calves that resided here at one time or another this year) Funny how much can change in a year.

Sorry OP, for taking this off topic.

Hooray for eggs!

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Don't worry - the OP is off line he won't care about OT... he's just bragging anyway.

Yeah, last year we had 8 little chickens. funny how they seem to "reproduce" even before they start laying. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by