Something very strange happened last night...

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
And we still can't explain it! I'm still scratching my head about this one.
idunno.gif

Last night I left my house to take the kids trick-or-treating. My church does a big chili dinner/contest and then we (as in adults) all decorate the trunks of our cars and the kids go trunk-or-treating. I'm sure you all know how that works. Well we didn't get back home until almost 9:00 last night. I worried about my chickens because we are so rural and people tend to play some nasty pranks on Halloween, so as soon as we pulled into the driveway, we unlocked to coop to make sure all the chickens were okay. Now when we left, they were all in the run, with the pop door open so they could all go in and out of the coop as they pleased and put themselves to bed once it got dark. This is where things get strange! Once home, we unlocked the coop door, walked inside the coop, saw the chickens had put themselves to bed like good little chooks, and then proceeded to do our normal chicken count. Everyone was in so we went to lock down the pop door. Well, the pop door was already locked down.
hu.gif
We have no idea how it got that way! This is the strangest thing ever! Did we somehow get super smart chickens that have learned to lock themselves in, pop door and all?!?! I guess we will never really know, but it really has had me puzzled along with everyone else in my family. My 12 year-old is highly determined that big foot did it (
lol.png
) , but like I said before, I'm still scratching my head about this one.
hu.gif

Seriously that is really weird, those type of things I can not stop thinking about. It drives me insane!
barnie.gif

the chickens knew how to do it all along. they were just mad because you didn't take them to the trunk or treat.

they were waiting for their moment. don't be surprised if you find them getting things out of the fridge. they are organized! organized!

could a neighbour have done it?...

we have a neighbour that will check on things if he knows we are gone...he is an older gentleman and on halloween he will do like a "patrol" of the street. we have city kids come out here with way to much time on their hands. they enjoy cow tipping and mailbox baseball.

(i think he is a retired police officer cause last year when he found a car on the side of the road on halloween no one was in the car, he called the police and within minutes a police car was there and yes they did catch the kids coming back from the field with shoes full of cow poop. the kids got 2 cows that night but they were also charged
smack.gif
)

Quote:
Well, we did have that thought. We have a neighbor who watched the chickens 2 weeks ago while we went camping and he had a great time watching after them! The only thing is, we locked the coop up before we left. We always keep a padlock on the coop when we are gone, so how could the neighbor have shut that pop door?
idunno.gif
We just can't figure it out!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom