Something we can put in our yard to keep cats out?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ducclelover10, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Ducclelover10

Ducclelover10 Overrun With Chickens

We have tons of cats lingering around our yard, and they are scaring the chickens! The chickens are safe, the cats can't get to them, but they're just so scared. So is there anything we can put in our yard to keep cats out that wont hurt the chickens?
    Like a plant, or just something that scares them?

2. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Dogs[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Ducclelover10

Ha ha, I think dogs would scare the chickens a lot more than cats!

4. Chickensaur

Chickensaur Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2013
    Florida
    A bigger, meaner cat? :3
    I have a massive spayed Siamese mix who patrols the backyard just daring any other cats(or dogs, or small humans) to step over the invisible line. She's fat and lazy otherwise though, so she doesn't do more than stare at my chicks disconcertingly.

5. tomecarsley

tomecarsley Out Of The Brooder

Sprinkle Cayenne pepper and/or slice up lemons and put them around where the cats hang out. What I do when they use my raised beds for a litter box and works well. Also used coffee grounds and peppermint oil work....BB gun

6. Ducclelover10

Thanks!

7. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    I heard that hanging mesh bags with moth balls around the yard will keep predators away, including dogs and coyotes. I haven't tried it. I keep two cats in with my chickens to keep rats, mice and wild birds away. Works beautifully. Honestly, I like having cats around. They do not bother my birds and keep rodents at bay.

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    If they are yours build a cat enclosure.If neighbors/stray trap and AC them.Havahart 1089 works
    well.A motion activated sprinkler works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by