Something wrapped around his leg when hatching *PIC added*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MuranoFarms, Dec 18, 2009.

1. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    When my first chick hatched, he managed to get most of the way out but his leg had something wrapped around it. He kept trying to kick it free. It was connected to the egg at one side, wrapped around his leg and went into his body. I thought it was the umbilical cord and tried to get his leg loose but I couldn't slip his foot through. Thinking it was the umbilical, I snipped it with scissors. I really hope I didn't screw up. Although.....he certainly couldn't have lived like that.

Ever see anything like that?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, and I lost a chick when that happened. I didn't realize it till it was drying and then it was pulling out his intestines. You did well.

3. MuranoFarms

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    It's real red and oozing a little blood.....just a little bit though. I guess I just have to wait and see what happens now.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    You can put a little bit of corn starch on it to help the blood to clot. You don't want for it to just ooze, they don't have much blood to spare at that age.

5. MuranoFarms

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    [​IMG]
    I will try the cornstarch, thanks!

6. 4CrazyGirlz

4CrazyGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    North East Texas
    Quote:Ouch!! That looks painful. Let us know what you figure out.

7. JP33

JP33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Southeast, Louisiana
    What a bummer, definitely looks like entrails to me. Good luck.

...JP

8. MuranoFarms

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    It's a lot less prominent this morning. He also had poop sticking to him [​IMG] So I guess his guts are still working. I reached in tto wiped him off, but only cause I was worried about him contaminating the last 3 eggs. Should I move him to the brooder?

We're calling him Mumbles...cause he dances like the guy from Happy feet.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He's better off in the bator till he's completely fluffed out so the others won't pick at that. I've had them that way and they seem to heal fine. I've also superglued a chick whose entire intestinal array was pushed out. Just shoved them carefully back in, DH held the skin together and I used superglue. joletabey has the baby now and he's five weeks old.

10. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Quote:And they say you can't use superglue and duck tape for EVERYTHING.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by