1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Something wrong w/ yolk sac?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dutchgirl, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    We had a chick hatch in our incubator today. It is an EE/OEGB cross, we think.
    Yesterday it seemed to be struggling a bit in hatching and taking quite a while. Then it was hatched this morning. However, its belly is very round. We've been hatching chickens for four or five years and I've never felt something like this. It's as if the solid yolk is in his belly. I can still see a little shriveled red string hanging out of his navel. In previous hatches we've had chicks with unabsorbed yolk sacs, but it's not hanging out or anything. Does anyone know what's wrong?

2. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Well, obviously they didn't. Anyway...

Yesterday we put the chick in with a broody mother. She is a six-year-old Ameracauna who is in her life's first broody period. [​IMG] This morning the chick was found next to her in the nestbox, dead. There don't seem to be any peck marks on it.

What I want to know is, what killed it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by