Something wrong with my 3-4 mn Cayuga Female "Midnight"

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Baylor, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Baylor

Baylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2011
    I noticed last Sunday that my Cayuga was acting off. She seemed to be gagging a bit just pecking around at the grass during the day then she just out of the blue flipped on her back. I picked her up and she seemed all normal - she clearly didnt care to get away from me at all so it was easy to catch her. I left town for the week and told my boys to watch her - they didnt note anything odd. When I got back Friday she wasnt with the flock she was hiding under a tree up against the house all by herself. Again everything looks fine but she seemed off. I gave her a bath in warm water and gave her some Poly vitamins incase of a vitamin deficiency. Tonight I woke out of bed to the chaos in their cage only to go out there to find all the ducks corralled in a corner and she was flipped upside down with feet in air laying on her neck - clearly she was dead I thought. I reached down to pick her up and she perked right up like nothing was wrong. I have her taking a warm bath again. Both times in the bath her poop was clear/white and just a small bit of green (they eat algae in the pond). Any idea what might be wrong with her? The rest of the group is fine no seen issues.
    I am going to keep her in the tub a few days to make sure she gets vitamins and nutridrench in her water. I have some antibiotics should I give her some just in case? I also will put some ACV in her water? I am going to give her some baby food with a fat syringe just to make sure she has some food in case she isnt eating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Hmmmm.... thats sounds odd. Keep us posted. I hope someone pops in who knows what's going on. Good luck!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Another possibility - yes this is unusual - is that she could be having seizures. How old is she*, is she crested and what has her feed been (as a duckling and now)?

*Sigh. You put her age in the title. Sorry.

At her age and without knowing what her feed is I would say get some brewer's yeast sprinkled on her food (about a tablespoon a day) or add 100 to 150 mg of niacin (just plain niacin, not the no-flush or timed release or anything special kind) per gallon of water for the next two months.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Amiga OP says shes 3-4 month old.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, Miss Lydia, and I worry that it's not my eyes that have trouble seeing, but my brain slipping a gear.[​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Don't worry A it's happening to all of us. [​IMG]

8. Baylor

Baylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2011
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking seizures as well since it just randomly started and her seemingly no control over it. I have her still segregated and she is drinking ok - she spilt all the food so not completely sure on that - I gave her 3 choices layer pellets, boiled eggs, and layer pellet mush. I see some food at the bottom of her water bowl so hoping she is eating a little. I did get some baby food in her last night - albeit not by her choice. She was on non-medicated starter earlier and just last month moved to pellets. I got her when she was 3-4 weeks old so not sure what she was given early on. I have checked on her several times and I havent witnessed it again. I am going to keep her in and make sure she gets the vitamins twice daily - I did put some antibiotics in the water too just in case there is something else going on. She is quacking much more today than yesterday so that is also good. I will check on niacin when I get to the feed store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by