1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Something wrong with my buff orpington :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sofi, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Sofi

Sofi Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Raleigh/Garner, NC
    Hi everyone, I hope you can help me...

This morning my buff orpington doesn't seem to be doing too well. She is about 4.5 months and hasn't started laying yet.

She is not moving around much. She just sits in the corner with eyes closed. If she sees me she'll walk up to me and seems OK, but then she slows down again. Her tail is droopy too.

I isolated her from my other birds. Her vent seems wet. I offered treats and she'll peck a couple times but is not too interested.

She is also at the bottom of the pecking order. The other girls are mean to her (my orp is a very sweet chicken). Maybe that has something to do with it?

Her poop seemed watery (I attached a pic).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you take her to a vet? If not, I would start by checking her for a stuck egg. You'll need a glove and lube like KY Jelly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    -Kathy

3. Sofi

Oct 12, 2012
    Raleigh/Garner, NC
    Is olive oil a good idea?? How can I give it to her??

I think I'm going to try a warm bath. Could it be something else? Her eyes look fine, I can't see any more "evident" problems besides the way she is acting and the droopy tail. She pooped again and this time it looked pretty normal to me.

Sorry for all the questions! I'm really new and this is the first time one of my girls has a problem. And (of course) she is my favorite hen too!

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Why do you want to give oil? Did you do the exam?

-Kathy

5. Sofi

Oct 12, 2012
    Raleigh/Garner, NC
    I did but I can't really tell. I watched some videos online and people advice to give the hens oil to help "move things along". I thought I would ask here first. I keep going back and forth, she really doesn't seem that bad right now, just quiet. She is a very gentle/ quiet hen. Maybe she was being bullied?

I felt her abdomen for an egg but couldn't feel anything....

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You need to stick your finger in her vent. I would not give her oil... water is what would be best to "move" stuff along, IMO. Has she been wormer with a proper wormer like Safeguard or Valbazen and have you dusted her for bugs with a proper poultry dust. DE doesn't work.

-Kathy

7. Sofi

Oct 12, 2012
    Raleigh/Garner, NC
    I did the exam, and I couldn't feel anything! There's nothing there. Her vent appears fine, there's no redness or swelling, and inside it feels clear.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Okay...

Has she been wormed with a proper wormer like Safeguard or Valbazen and have you dusted her for bugs with a proper poultry dust. DE doesn't work.

-Kathy

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  10. Sofi

Oct 12, 2012
    Raleigh/Garner, NC
    Thanks you both! I finally found a store that sold me both CORID and SafeGuard.

Now, my question is... These are bovine/equine meds, what is the right dosage for chickens??

Should I reunite my sick girl with the rest of the flock or should I keep her in overnight?

How long is the course of the meds?

Do I need to give it to all my chickens?

Thank you so much!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by