Something wrong with my Rooster- help/inpout please! (Pictures attached!)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hylandcreek, Jun 10, 2016.

1. hylandcreek

hylandcreek New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Northern British Columbia
    Hi there, this is my first post so bare with me, thanks!

I've had this rooster for about a month- I was told he was moulting when I first got him; he is just over a year old now!

I went outside today, and didn't see him- normally he is out in the pen with his girls, crowing, etc! But he was inside sort of hiding in the corner. He went outside right away when he saw me. and I noticed he was trying to peck at his own feet- then I saw some of the hens pecking at his hind end; and I take a closer look and see it has a tiny bit of puss coming out of his rear end, and it very raw and very very RED!

I immediately separated him from the chickens and he is happily looking for things to each outside of the pen!

I grew up with chickens, but don't remember anything like this before. I hosed his rear end down, and he seemed to like it because he didn't move. Is there anything else I can do for him aside from keeping him separated from the hens for a while until its better?

As you can see in the picture, his legs are all red and that isn't normal right?

Thanks so much... Hope someone can give me some guidance for my poor rooster! [​IMG] I know it looks awful, and I feel so bad. We were gone overnight, it was not like this when we left. Also, the temperature outside has been very hot lately but They do have shade!

Here are the pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. His legs are probably normally streaked with red due to his hormones. Is that his vent we are looking at? It can be normal for a new rooster to be bullied by hens new to him, and especially if he was molting. I have seen my head rooster run off from the whole flock bu a junior cockerel when the head rooster was molting. They can become weak, and the others can sense it. I would get some Vetericyn wound spray to apply to his vent. Keep him separated but in site of the others with a cage or dog crate to heal, and put his own food and water in there. Chickens can cannibalize each other and peck out the intestines with repeated vent pecking. Make sure they have enough room, 16-20% protein in the diet, and all can get out to range daily on grass in the yard.

1 person likes this.
  3. hylandcreek

hylandcreek New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate it. Yes, it is his vent.

Update: He is doing MUCH better... I noticed his vent was super hard yesterday, so I did a bit of research and this morning I soaked his backend in warm water; he ended up falling asleep and submerging all by himself- so I think it helped- and I put some baby oil where it was hard, but now its very soft and he is acting like himself. It still looks awful! :(

I do not have any access to any wound spray; I was thinking of applying Honey to this, as honey is something I use on my other animals for wounds. Or is there something I can use other than honey that would be best?

He is still separated from the rest, he hates it, but seems to be taking it a bit better today. They have more than enough space; It was a grassy area that we built the chicken run/pen in, but they have broken that down big time and there isnt anything else to pick at! I usually end up taking them a bucket of dirt and a bucket of clippings, plus vegetable scraps every day- they love it all. They have 24/7 access to their scratch. Lots of water... they are very happy chickens!

If anyone can suggest I do anything else to help this poor guy that would be wonderful! Thanks :)

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you do not have any antibiotic ointment, the honey would be a good alternative to apply. Do not put him back with the hens until he is healed and refeathered. I agree with Eggcessive that the red in his legs is just an indicator of high testosterone levels - it's completely normal. Make sure that flies do not lay eggs on his battered butt.

1 person likes this.
  5. hylandcreek

hylandcreek New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Thank you Sourland!

He is still separated from his girls, and will be until he is all better- but he is super depressed this afternoon! But I keep telling him its for his own good! LOL Poor guy...

I notice he is struggling to poop(grunting, etc) and I am guessing its painful- but he has been pooping! so that is a good thing. His vent area is alot softer than yesterday and the whole area is not as red as yesterday either.

I also read that there is something you can buy, to apply to "red" area's to disguise the colour so the hens wont peck; I am not able to buy anything like that, but is there something I can put on him for once he is all better that covers his bright rear so they dont notice it? (like a homemade mixture of ingredients?)

Thanks again Eggcessive & Sourland! :)

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some use BluKote or gentian violet to color the wound blue to disguise the red, and as a wound treatment. Others use Nustock Cream, a pine oil and sulfur cream that is opaque and tastes bad when pecked. Iodine or betadine may work as well. Make sure that he is drinking enough water, and try putting water in his feed. Molasses works well as a laxative, and also castor oil 1/2 tsp could be used as well in his food once. In hot weather, though, it may be constipation from dehydration. Or he may have a big bunch of grass or something backing him up.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  7. hylandcreek

hylandcreek New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Update:

A scab fell off of the vent area and fresh new skin was underneath and it looks SO healthy!! :) There is still redness around it, but not as bad. He still is somewhat depressed, so are the hens- I hope in a couple of days I can put them back together, then they will all be HAPPY. I will post pictures tomorrow. :)

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is good news. Can you cage him with the hens, so they can see each other? Give him his own food and water.

9. hylandcreek

hylandcreek New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Yes, he is caged with the hens in their run- he is in a corner with a net over top so he cant jump over! He has his own food, and water, and his own roost with a piece of plywood above for shelter! :) He seems content with it, i can't wait to let him out!

Question,

so the scab has fallen off, and everything looks very good there, but it is still all red; any tips on how to help make the redness go away? I have tried soaking in epson salt water but it doesn't seem to make a difference!

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You could use BluKote or Gentian violet, AluShield aluminum spray bandage, or Nustock Cream, an opaque sulfur and pine oil medicine that coats and discourages pecking. Those are available at feed stores. Zinc oxide cream may also be an option.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by