Something wrong with new chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lulubug, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Lulubug

Lulubug New Egg

Mar 8, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Just brought home a new Barred Rock chick. She appeared to have pasty butt and we got her cleaned up, but then noticed this below her vent. It had some more crusty junk on it and we got it cleaned up but now I'm not sure what to do or what is wrong with her.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Is she newly hatched? From what I can make out that's likely her umbilicus, where she was attached to the umbilical artery and vein. It's like our belly buttons. It can take a little while for them to totally close after hatch. Don't mess with it, you don't want to injure it or accidentally open it up.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  3. Lulubug

Lulubug New Egg

Mar 8, 2014
    I'm not sure. We got her, a Buff Orpington, an Americauna, and a Production Red at the feed store a coupke of hours ago. The Americauna is the youngest and the red the oldest but I have no idea about hatching dates.[​IMG]

4. tastyacres

tastyacres Overrun With Chickens

Feb 23, 2017
    never stops learning!
    Keep up what your doing. Make sure your using the softest material and use only warm water. If the chick is still lively and still eating and drinking I would say she is fine. Some chicks have this happen and you just gotta keep the vent open and eventually it will stop.

If she does start to look like she is going down hill just put some raw apple cider vinegar in her water to boost her immunisation.
    Shey

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Leave the umbilicus alone, but keep on treating the pasty butt as it reoccurs. It's common in mail order chicks for the first few days or in feed store chicks whose temperatures haven't been kept right.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  6. Lulubug

Lulubug New Egg

Mar 8, 2014
    Got it. She seems to be just fine now. Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by