Something wrong with new chick's vent

CoolClucker

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2013
Indiana USA
I got my chicks from our feed store yesterday, they all were fine. Brought them home and about 4 hrs later noticed something going on with this girls vent. It's gotten worse overnight. She is still eating and active but her activity is going down a little bit. Everyone else is fine. What is this and can I do anything to help her? They are only a few days old, I've had them 24 hrs. They're in the brooder in the garage, doing great. Chick starter feed, fresh water w/ probiotic and electrolytes, and no diarrhea from anyone. Heat is on point and wood shavings for flooring. No other injuries or irregularities, other chicks are not bothering her.

Attachments

• chick.jpg
    chick.jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Six weeks ago when I got my current baby chicks, I had a problem with them nipping vents. Chicks are curious and they can easily become obsessed with something that has grabbed their attention. In this instance it was a speck of poop on butt fuzz and then they noticed the pink vent which to them could mean something to eat.

The result was several bloody vents, and then it can get very serious from there since vent tissue is delicate and prone to swelling up. I did two things immediately. One was to put Blu-kote on the injured vents to disguise the bloody tissue. The second was to give them toys to divert their attention from each other's butts.

Whether the injury occurred before you got this chick or more recently, it's important you take steps to head off further injuries. Here's my article on keeping baby chicks from hurting one another. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aggressive-baby-chicks-and-how-to-stop-the-behavior.72029/

These are the toys I came up with to divert their attention. One is a tennis ball with red dots drawn on it with red magic marker. The other is a piece of weather stripping noodle stapled to a block of wood with red duct tape on it to draw attention. Anything you come up with must be soft so it doesn't damage delicate baby beaks.
P1010007.JPG

Six weeks ago when I got my current baby chicks, I had a problem with them nipping vents. Chicks are curious and they can easily become obsessed with something that has grabbed their attention. In this instance it was a speck of poop on butt fuzz and then they noticed the pink vent which to them could mean something to eat.

The result was several bloody vents, and then it can get very serious from there since vent tissue is delicate and prone to swelling up. I did two things immediately. One was to put Blu-kote on the injured vents to disguise the bloody tissue. The second was to give them toys to divert their attention from each other's butts.

Whether the injury occurred before you got this chick or more recently, it's important you take steps to head off further injuries. Here's my article on keeping baby chicks from hurting one another. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aggressive-baby-chicks-and-how-to-stop-the-behavior.72029/

These are the toys I came up with to divert their attention. One is a tennis ball with red dots drawn on it with red magic marker. The other is a piece of weather stripping noodle stapled to a block of wood with red duct tape on it to draw attention. Anything you come up with must be soft so it doesn't damage delicate baby beaks.View attachment 2178223
Ok, what can i do to help treat her little butt? Prep h, neosporin, kist blue kote? Should i try pushing it back in?

Clean the vent with a Q-tip and warm water. Then use a fresh Q-tip to apply just a tiny bit of Blu-kote so you don't get it all over the chick and yourself.

If the vent is more than just swollen, but is prolapsing, you will need to try to push it back inside. It doesn't appear to be prolapsing from your photo. It's normal for a vent pecking wound to swell up. The Blu-kote will kill bacteria and the swelling will subside in 24 hours if no more pecking occurs.

If the swelling persists, use a tiny dab of cortisone cream on it. Prep H is slightly toxic and I would avoid using it on chicks.

Clean the vent with a Q-tip and warm water. Then use a fresh Q-tip to apply just a tiny bit of Blu-kote so you don't get it all over the chick and yourself.

If the vent is more than just swollen, but is prolapsing, you will need to try to push it back inside. It doesn't appear to be prolapsing from your photo. It's normal for a vent pecking wound to swell up. The Blu-kote will kill bacteria and the swelling will subside in 24 hours if no more pecking occurs.

If the swelling persists, use a tiny dab of cortisone cream on it. Prep H is slightly toxic and I would avoid using it on chicks.
Ok. I will do that. It's a relief to hear it isn't prolapsed. I'm sure she's tender but I am cautiously optimistic for her. She's eating and running around so she seems tough. I hope she makes it. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom