Something wrong with rooster!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Saponaria, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Saponaria

Saponaria Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2008
    My Mille Fleur rooster Robin Hood is not acting himself. He is sitting in the laying box with his back facing out. He never even used to get in the laying boxes. He is acting low energy, just not himself. We see no visible injuries but the top of his comb has changed color and is very dark at the top. Any ideas? I love this rooster and I don't know what to do!

2. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    ones someone told me that if there comb turns black/purple they might be having a heart attack? dont freak out just yet because i could be wrong.
    ~Bri

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
  4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Hmmmm.....

Are there any other symptoms? Runny nose, sneezing, weezing, funny smelling/looking poo? Is he eating/drinking?

5. Emchick

Emchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    Do you have any other roos? He might be hiding from them, my roos used to do that, but they all died or got eaten [​IMG]

6. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    i have never heard the heart attack thing but i do know of the frostbite statement....although that may have nothing to do with it...for the longest time my rooster would sit in the nesting box and poo in it so it was a mess, after a week or two he got out and continued his life.....it may sound silly but i have a friend who claims that his ROOSTER went broody for a week and a half but then quit that little phase as well.....lol

7. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Combs turning dark means he is not getting enough air. Check his air-way. Smell his breath (for stinky breath) and see if he is skinny from not eating. many things could be the problem.

8. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    check his crop..

is he eating?

has he been wormed?
    describe the droppings..color and consistency.

do you have other roos?

can you bring him in to warm place?

check him over for mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by