Something wrong with the egg yokes??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Angel16, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Angel16

Angel16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, this past week i have noticed when i crack a egg there is white stringy bit coming off/out of the yoke ( some times out of both ends of the yoke). Also some red/dark brown flakes on top of the yoke. I have one coop with 11 hens and my one roo, and in another coop i have my 22 laying hens ( they don't have a roo) both have been laying eggs like this. Some eggs are worse then others and this really worried me. Is there something wrong with my hens?? Is this normal? I would really appreciate any input!!
    Thanks

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

All sounds normal to me.

The stringy thing is the chalazae:
    here is an image search with lots of pics of the white stringy chalazae:
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...&form=QBIR&pq=chalazae+egg+&sc=1-32&sp=-1&sk=

They hold the yolk in place.

The red spots are likely blood spots. They occur when there is a bit of bleeding as the egg is formed - they occur even without a rooster.

Both the chalazae and the blood spots (and even meat spots) are normal. The commercial eggs are candled and the ones with blood and meat spots are removed so the consumer doesn't buy those.

The hen parts can drop out - even an ovary- as the egg is formed (that would be a meat spot but an unusual one).

http://poultrykeeper.com/egg-problems/meat-spots-in-eggs
    Whenever I find a meat or blood spot, I simply remove it and cook the rest of the egg.

It is possible to find worms in eggs when hens are infested with worms. But this is unusual.

Fresh eggs from your own hens are the real deal. Good stuff!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  3. Angel16

ooohhhh! Right! That does make sense!! I haven't noticed it till now.... could it be getting worse ( if that's posable)? Will this always happen? Is there anything i can do about it? And Is it just some hens lay it like that and others don't?
    Thanks!

4. Angel16

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    the chalazae is in every egg, even store bought eggs. I find I get more meat and/or blood spots from new layers, it's like their systems aren't fully functioning yet. Or, a bird returning to lay after a molt will do it more often, too. Usually once a hen hits her stride those things quit, although they do still happen occasionally.

6. Angel16

That's good!! I have been having trouble with my 22 laying hens thou. Everyday i get only 18 to 20 eggs. They have light and they have the highest % of feed i can get ( 17% protein). 20 hens are just over a year and 2 are a year and a half. Most of the eggs i get from the 22 hens have the spots in them. (*only two are molting*) Does this mean there system is imbalanced? Or is what I'm feeding them not good/ causing problems?
    Thanks!!!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't see a problem with your numbers at all. Each hen doesn't lay an egg every day, most hens in prime lay 6 eggs a week. So, sounds like your girls are doing wonderful, just taking turns taking days off.

Have those older girls molted? 18 months is the common mark to molt and take a break for a while, so they may not be laying even with a light. Don't use a light myself do I don't know if they work in that instance.

I have around 2 dozen hens and am thrilled if I get 4 eggs a day! Then again, I'm caught between older hens taking a break and new layers not yet started.......something went wrong with the plan this spring.....[​IMG]

8. ChickensAreSweet

9. ChickensAreSweet

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  10. Angel16

That's great! I'm new to keeping chickens, i just got these last March. I wasn't sure if that was a good number to be getting but i'm glad it is! Thank you very much!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by