Something wrong with their eyes?

Tretinker

Songster
May 23, 2022
England
Hi all,

We've two girls that are 3 + weeks old that we picked up on Sunday.

On Sunday when we got home I noticed one had some bubbling around her eye. Just a tiny bit but I thought perhaps it was it was just where she needed to dunk her head in some clean water. Since then they've had plenty of access to clean water and the bubbling has stopped but she seems like the area around her eye isn't quite right it has an almost wet look to it buy also kind of crusty maybe I'm not sure.

Is there any kind of eye issue that could give this appearance? Or is this normal and I'm just overthinking?

The second girl kind of has a similar dampness look around her eyes but no crusty appearance.

Photos aren't great because they run screaming at the sight of me....we are working on it! But it's very difficult to gauge if there is a problem because of this.

Attachments

• PXL_20220817_171605541.jpg
    PXL_20220817_171605541.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20220817_171001255.jpg
    PXL_20220817_171001255.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 2
Thanks, yes there is no drake issue. The female ducklings were separated from the males a few days prior and no adult drakes held with them.

I will just keep the clean water coming and a watch on them thanks!
How is their breathing? I know some respiratory diseases and infections cause eyes to bubble. I would keep a close watch on them. I’ll take some folks who may know.

@Aunt Angus
@Eggcessive

How is their breathing? I know some respiratory diseases and infections cause eyes to bubble. I would keep a close watch on them. I’ll take some folks who may know.

@Aunt Angus
@Eggcessive
Great thanks, her breathing is normal and no more eye bubbles since Sunday that I've been able to see.

Eating well, drinking and poop is all normal.

Managed to catch her without her hurting herself and got a better picture. She's in the look no touch zone at the moment.

Attachments

• PXL_20220817_173701220.jpg
    PXL_20220817_173701220.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 2
Great thanks, her breathing is normal and no more eye bubbles since Sunday that I've been able to see.

Eating well, drinking and poop is all normal.

Managed to catch her without her hurting herself and got a better picture. She's in the look no touch zone at the moment.
That looks normal to me it was probably just some gunk.

It looks like they might just need repeated dunking. Might be a good excuse to let them swim more frequently. I'm sure they won't object.

In my experience, I find ducks are just heartier than chickens. When I see a runny eye in a chicken, I'm thinking respiratory infection. When I see it in one of my ducks, I'm thinking she needs a good swim. Of course, there are plenty of illnesses that afflict our web-footed friends, but if everything else seems normal, I wouldn't worry yet.

Amazing thank you everyone! I will get them swimming more often right now they jump out screaming because I'm there supervising but we've made progress with mealworms today so I'm going to try throwing some in the pool and see if that'll get them swimming properly..

Amazing thank you everyone! I will get them swimming more often right now they jump out screaming because I'm there supervising but we've made progress with mealworms today so I'm going to try throwing some in the pool and see if that'll get them swimming properly..
Haha! I am surprised they need coaxing. I bet that is the issue then. All of my ducks have been swimming since day three and have amazing feather quality because of it (or at least I like to think so). Whoever you acquired them from must not have introduced them to swimming.

They are SUPER cute!!!!

Back
Top Bottom