Somethings just not right

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JustMarie, Aug 16, 2010.

1. JustMarie

JustMarie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    NE Georgia
    I just got home about 30 mins ago, went out to feed my girls and everyone was talking and running up to me, all but one, she was just kinda standing there with her butt in the air. I put everyone in the pen and everyone was acting normal and shes was just standing there like DUH-HUH. Like shes just out-of-it. So i gave her a lil but soft kick in the butt, she didnt make any sound or do anything. She did drink a lil water twice. Right now shes in a dog cage right in front of me and shes just standing in the same spot where i put her, the cat ran by, she moved her head a lil but that was it. Does anyone know what this might be?????????

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Is she egg bound and trying to push it out but can't?

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Heat stroke??

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    My first thought was egg bound as well. Inspect her for lice/mites.

5. JustMarie

Jun 20, 2010
    NE Georgia
    It hasnt been that hot here the last few days, only in the high 80s. Plus today we've had a light rain on and off all day, it's cooled things off alot.
    I'm not sure about egg bound? i'm not sure how to tell for that. From my first post, til now. shes moved a lil but shes not acting like a normal chicken...

6. JustMarie

Jun 20, 2010
    NE Georgia
    OK she just laid an egg but no shell, just the yolk. Do i check to see if theres a shell inside and put her in some warm water?

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You can search "egg bound" to see if there are threads with suggestions on what to do with egg bound hens and how they turned out.

For now, if it was just the yolk, you can soak her in warm water and feel around her abdomen to see if anything is hard like an egg, else, you can reach in there and feel around to see if there are broken shells or pieces of a rubbery shell.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by