1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Somethings killing my silkie chicks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SilkieSumo, Jan 26, 2013.

1. SilkieSumo

SilkieSumo New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    So my wife and i have been raising our silkie chicks for awhile now and feel were pretty knowed up on this adventure. but for the past week or two weve had a few chicks die overnight. its been one at a time too so we dont think its disease. Theyll be fine at night and dead in the morning. Its been devastating, especially to my wofe who finds them while im at work. today we had time to do some coop renovations and found millipedes throughout the stall. some were crusty and bit in half. can this be the problem? and if so will they affect our adults too?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Sorry, but I'm going to answer your question with another question....
    What did the chicks look like when your wife found them? If we knew that, it might better help us determine what's going on.
    My birds eat centipedes and millipedes (here ours are pretty small), but I've never had any birds keel over after consuming them.
    Nikki

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by