Somethings not right.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mandmrabbitry, Mar 6, 2009.

1. mandmrabbitry

mandmrabbitry New Egg

Feb 27, 2009
    Kannapolis, NC
    So i have had a quail (hatched 2 days late) and a duck (hatched on time) and both have come out the shell with a giant sac attached to them. It looked like egg yolk with lots of blood and huge blood veins. I let the quail be and he died within 45 minutes. So when the duck hatched last night, we detached the sac. It died within 2 minutes.

What is causing this sac to stay and to be so large? Are we doing something wrong in the incubator?

Also, should we just leave them alone because they are sure to die, or is there something we can do to assist them when they come out the shell in this condition.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It's the yolk sac that they hadn't finished absorbing. Usually this happens when your temps have been too high. Sometimes when you leave the chick alone and keep it in the bator they will finish drawing the yolk sac in. Never take the sac off unless it has dried up to a string like.

3. mandmrabbitry

mandmrabbitry New Egg

Feb 27, 2009
    Kannapolis, NC
    Thanks so much!

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I believe it can also happen if the humidity is too high for hatch? But I agree, it was probably the temps. You might want to wrap them in a damp paper towel or sock or something, so they don't get the yolk caught on something and tear it.

5. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    hey vicky, good luck in salisbury...
    and sorry to hear about the quail and duckling... let me knowif you have any coturnix chicks that need a new home...
    btw i believe you need to (if you havent already) apply for an NC propagation permit... you need it t be able to sell quail chukar and pheasant as well as waterfowl i believe...
    http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg04_HuntingTrapping/pg4a7prop_regs.pdf
    dont want you behind any red tape...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  6. mandmrabbitry

mandmrabbitry New Egg

Feb 27, 2009
    Kannapolis, NC
    btw i believe you need to (if you havent already) apply for an NC propagation permit... you need it t be able to sell quail chukar and pheasant as well as waterfowl i believe...

The NCag board has my request in. They told me the paper work will come in sometime in early July when the new permit cycle starts. Thats perfect timing for us. Our flock should be large enough by then to start the selling process [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by