Something's wrong!!! Help please!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Flychick4721, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Flychick4721

Flychick4721 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2016
    Washington State
    There is something wrong with my SLW.
    She's been eating and drinking great but she's making a strange squeaking noise, almost like a distress signal and she's acting like she has got something caught in her throat.
    When she's at rest, she's looking like she's straing to lay an egg almost. Her breathing seems abnormal to me.
    This just started a few days ago. I will try and send the video I took.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Wish I had some advice but I don't. But I did have a GLW that did just what you described. She did it for two weeks in a really hot and humid stretch of weather. Coincidentally or not, her symptoms went away when the weather cooled? :confused:

3. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    How old is your hen and is she currently laying?
    Check for a stuck egg by gently inserting a gloved finger 1-2" into vent
    How does her crop feel? Squishy/hard/normal?
    Any smell to her breath?

Symptoms could be a few different things. Let us know.

4. How old is she?
    laying or no?
    Anything wrong with her crop?
    As chickcrack said try to see if she's egg bound.

5. Flychick4721

Apr 28, 2016
    Washington State
    Thank you all for replying.
    She is approx. twenty one weeks and I started getting eggs on the fifth of September and have been gifted with one a day since, except for yesterday.
    I only have four chickens and two of them are three weeks younger so I know they are not laying yet. It's a toss up between my RIR and her. I think it is her that has been laying. Can't be 100% though.
    I wormed her yesterday with Valbazen just in case it was gapeworms since she has been eating slugs and earthworms.
    This morning she came out of her house and pecked around and went back in. I went out to sit in there with them and she came out and is eating and drinking but today she seems more sneezy then yesterday.
    I will check her vent. Yesterday her crop felt good and her breath was normal.
    She's always been my healthy girl and I'm at a loss but willing to do what is necessary for her. I wish my video would download so you would have a better idea. I'm trying to find a Vet that's open today. I do have an appointment Tuesday at 8 am but am afraid to wait that long!!!

6. chickcrack

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    If you have a YouTube acct you can post your video there and put the link here in your thread. I'm sure seeing what you are seeing would be very helpful.

7. Flychick4721

Apr 28, 2016
    Washington State
    I don't have a YouTube acc but I will try and figure out how to set one up.
    Wish me luck!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

8. chickcrack

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I hear you...my middle name is "technically challenged". Good luck

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by