Somethings wrong with his eye!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    One of my scovie drakelets that i got a few weeks ago has something wrong with his left eye. Instead of blue it has a film over it and now the eye looks brown an red [​IMG]

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Does he have deep enough water to dunk his face?

3. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Yes, the field has a bunch of foot deep horse wallows as well as i have five gallon buckets and numerous pools. I brought him inside and let him play in the backtub. That seemed to help it immensely since i noticed before i put him in that the film had gotten thicker. I think he may have even hooked a toenail in their and scratched at it.

4. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    My duck had the same problem. I flushed it out with saline solution then put terramycin ointment on it. He's doing better now.
    If you don't have the ointment just keep flushing it out with saline solution.
    Hope you little one is ok. [​IMG]

5. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Im getting a diaper for him so he can come inside and i can keep an eye on him ( lol ) I put him back outside and ill check on the eye again when i go to lock them up as well as tomorrow morning.

6. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    Good luck, I'm sure he'll be fine. [​IMG]

7. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I went back out to check on him and its back. Its almost like a mucus type substance.

Im getting a diaper for him so i can bring him inside. I Dont think im going to be able to sell him because of it. Someone else would just eat him. So unless i can clear this up he stays here .

8. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I have an unused diaper that I bought for my rescue goose if you need one pronto. pm me if you don't have something.

9. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks Rainplace. If it gets worse ill let ya know, because then ill bring him in the house. My worst fear is that with the eye changing color and all that he might loose some sight in that eye. I mean its not that its blood shot, the actual iris that was once blue is now a brown green color with hints of red when i looked at it in the sunlight.

10. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    One of my ducks used to get conjunctivitis in her eye every year for a few years. I got an ophthalmic salve from the vet for her, it worked great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by