Somethings wrong with my chicken vent. PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hunterhart1113, Feb 22, 2015.

1. hunterhart1113

hunterhart1113 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    I was handling my birds yesterday and checking to make sure everyone was okay and when I picked up this birds and noticed the redness around his vent and also looking like it was trying to spread towards his breast. If you have any ideas as to what this may be please comment and help me asap. If you need any extra information please ask and I will try to answer at the best of my ability. Thank you[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    His vent looks irritated and bulging slightly like he may be straining to poop, and he could have had feathers pulled out by the others. I would also look around his vent and under for signs of lice or mites. If you find any, dust him with Sevin dust or permethrin garden or poultry dust. To treat his constipation you could give him some probiotics in his water, and either some apple sauce or a few drops of molasses in his food. You could lubricate his vent with some olive oil and a rubber glove. Nustock Cream from a feed store is good to apply to vents that are irritated, for vent gleet, and to discourage pecking.

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. hunterhart1113

hunterhart1113 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    Thank you for replying. When I noticed this I was trimming the vent feathers to try and help with fertility. I dont think the vent was swollen like he was straining I think it looks that way in the picture because I had just rubbed some olive oil on it and he was moving his vent when I took the picture. I will add some probiotics to his water for a few days and see if that helps .I checked for lice and mites but didnt see anything however I sprayed with Frontline on all my birds like I do every month. Do you have any other recommendations? Or anyone else have any other observations that have been missed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by