Something's wrong with my chicks!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oppelj, Aug 12, 2013.

1. oppelj

oppelj New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    Something is wrong with my week old leghorn pullets. All of them have what looks like a purple line on their beaks and possibly a fungal infection. I don't know how to describe it. It looks like somebody put a string on their beak and left it there. I know that didn't happen. I already lost 2 so hopefully somebody can help.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    What feed are they on,and describe where they are kept? Please provide symptoms,you have stated that 2 have died,what were their symptoms?

3. oppelj

oppelj New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    Their beaks look almost raw and sore. They are in a pen built up off of the floor. Now I took them in the house and put them in the bathtub. I tried looking at their beaks with a magnifying glass but couldn't see much except they look really sore. They are mouth breathing. A couple more look like they are ready to die. I swabed their beaks with iodine. My expertise is with horses. I really don't know much about chicken diseases.

4. oppelj

oppelj New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    They are on medicated chick starter.

5. oppelj

oppelj New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    I figured it out that it was the feeder I was using. It was injuring their beaks.

I have another issue I would like to bring up. My sister bought 4 geese that are this springs gosslings. They don't seem to be adjusting very well. They also are really thin and I can't get them to eat. I have tried every kind of food I can think of. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am going to deworm them just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by