1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Something's wrong with my hen! Help!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aaron13, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Aaron13

Aaron13 Just Hatched

Apr 5, 2017
    Tennessee
    I have 6 hens between a 1.5 and 3 years old. I let them free range during the day and coop them at night. Lucy, my favorite and one of the younger hens was fine all day, I put them up and went back to check for eggs my last time for the day and Lucy was on the floor of the coop laying down, I thought dust bathing but she couldn't seem to get up and her butt feathers were tucked down. I picked her up to take a closer look and she was not her usual self. I have looked at so much and have no idea what it is. People describe Meriks disease, splayed legs, or egg bound. I let her be a while and went back to check and she was standing at the bottom of the coop on both feet, all the rest were roosted and her butt feathers are still pointed down. Egg bound? Would Meriks come on so quickly with no symptoms? I am sick to death over this bird, I am very attached to my girls as I'm sure most of you can relate. Any thoughts?

2. Aaron13

Aaron13 Just Hatched

Apr 5, 2017
    Tennessee
    Let me ad, I spend time with them every day and have seen no symptoms of illness or any personality change, this was all the sudden.... [​IMG]

3. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
  4. Aaron13

Aaron13 Just Hatched

Apr 5, 2017
    Tennessee
    Thank you for the info! I looked into that yesterday but saw no symptoms they talk about. This morning when I checked, she is up walking around fine with the others but now I'm dumbfounded. She couldn't seem to walk last night and today she seems fine. Any additional thoughts or advice?

5. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    If she was eggbound maybe she passed the egg? I'm not too sure what it was that could've gotten her better, but I'm glad she is. I would still keep an eye on her, and watch her eating and drinking. See if her poop is normal too.

6. Aaron13

Aaron13 Just Hatched

Apr 5, 2017
    Tennessee
    Well she wasn't egg bound, eating and drinking good and her poop is good as well. The vet said nothing neurological, maybe it's a sprained leg or pulled muscle. She has to be kept in a cage for a while, to keep her from jumping or scratching. Hopefully the steroid shot she was given will help. She is perfectly healthy otherwise. Fingers crossed [​IMG], she will get better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by