Something's wrong with my incubator...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MadamPoofyBrow, Sep 30, 2015.

1. MadamPoofyBrow

MadamPoofyBrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2015
    I have a little giant still air digital incubator. All spring, it's been give 90-100% hatches. I just got it in April.
    It has an automatic egg turner.
    This batch, I had almost two dozen eggs in it. 11 Seramas, 12 bantam Cochin. All through incubation, the eggs did great, the incubator was fine. Then they went into lockdown four days ago. Still fine.
    The next day when I looked at the digital thermometer, it read 149.7. I checked, and it was still set at 102. I opened the lid, even though it was lockdown, and the eggs and the entire inside of the incubator were ice cold. How can it say 149.7, and be ice cold???
    So, is this something I can fix, or is it new enough I just need to take it back and try again?
    Humidity has been perfect, and needless to say, on day 22, I'm fairly certain all the eggs died. On day 21 I took out all but four, because they had DEFINITELY died.
    Any advice on what might have happened? Thanks in advance!
    If it helps, the eggs were all taken directly from my farm, and after sitting for a couple of days, were put in the bator. They are not shipped. Which I know wouldn't explain the incubator, but the embryos seemed to die before lockdown, as when I candled them on day 21 they seemed to be at about day 13 development...
    I can answer questions if I left anything out :-D

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Seems theres an issue between the thermostat and its control system. Personally, i would take it back to wherever you bought it have it fixed. If they do actually have the decency to do this, then when you get it home, ensure you verify the readouts with another two thermometers to ensure that the one controlling the thermostat is playing ball.

CT

3. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I think it's great that you've had such good hatches with that incubator. I have to ask, do you have a SEPARATE thermometer and hygrometer in there or are you just going by the digital controls??

4. MadamPoofyBrow

Jun 15, 2015
    Thanks CT!
    I got it from TSC.
    I was super upset when this happened, because a couple months ago I hatched out 4 Serama eggs under a broody. All four were roosters [​IMG]. These eleven were gonna save my perfect ratio with hopes of lots of hens, and then this happened...
    I'll take it back and see what they say. I'm really starting to prefer broodies...nothing like this ever happens with them, lol!

5. MadamPoofyBrow

Jun 15, 2015
    Ruby, I've just been going by the controls. And from the other hatches I figured they were accurate and never thought to change it. I was very happy to get an incubator that did that great on sale for forty bucks. Maybe I just need to invest in a better one...sigh...

6. MadamPoofyBrow

Jun 15, 2015
    Before this one I had a non digital of the same brand. Also still air. It also had amazing Hatches. I used two thermometers in it, and it said not to use a hydrometer, but to use the full lines labeled incubation and lockdown. I always did, and it always did great. After four years of like ten hatches per year, it finally broke. The little turn nob to change the temperatures won't turn down anymore.
    The digital one's only one year old and only about six hatches. It has no excuse for its behavior, lol!

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Welcome! I agree that setting under a broody is by far the best way to hatch chicks - mum does all the work and makes all the decisions - great stuff!
    CT

8. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    You used to have the LG9200, with the knob. That one is better then the LG9300 digital. I honestly had it for 3 days and returned it. It was horrible for me. When I turned it on, it went right to 99.5, I had a separate calibrated thermometer in there. But still air needs to be 101-102, so I tried raising the temp. I had the digital up to 104 and it still wouldn't go past 100, then it spiked to 103, then down to 98. I can't deal with that. I returned it and bought a second brinsea. Can't go wrong with brinsea. But I would not trust the digital panel at all!!

9. MadamPoofyBrow

Jun 15, 2015
    X a million! I have an amazing mama (a silkie) who lays eight eggs, goes broody. Raises the chicks for four weeks. Lays eight eggs, goes broody, raises the chicks for four weeks. Like clockwork. She is amazing, and will adopt anything I give her. Unfortunately, she was busy...
    But I have like 40 Silkie girls, and looking back I wash I woulda tried giving the eggs to somebody, cause out of that many Silkie's SOMEBODY woulda wanted them!

10. MadamPoofyBrow

Jun 15, 2015
    My non digital was horrible. It wouldn't stay consistent, but somehow managed to still hatch good. I really liked the digital as it stayed at 102 within .2 degrees after j got it set. I liked it, until now. But, it lasted six hatches while the non digital lasted 4 years. I may end up getting another one of those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by