Somethings wrong with my new bunny litter

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Rainstorm, May 20, 2010.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Songster

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Momma rabbit had 9!!! babies last week wed, 8 days old now, 2 were still born and since then 3 have died, shes been an excellent momma in the past and this is first time shes lost any, they look like 2-3 day old bunnies the last 4, one has a white hard ring around its unbilical(sp) spot, I thought it was an infection but its hard solid, what can I do for it? I really dont want to lose another baby

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Songster

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    I have never seen something like that, I was thinking umbilical hernia but I just dont know, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in!! Sorry about your losses!

3. A1 Steak Sauce

A1 Steak Sauce Songster

Nov 6, 2009
    My House
    Woah, I've never seen the like... Good luck, hopefully someone will know what's going on.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Oh..darn..poor thing! I dont knw what it is...
    Hope someone comes along to help you....

5. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Definitely looks like an Umbilical Hernia, my pug has one. With our pug we will have it fixed when he is neutered, but some people don't ever fix them and they're fine. It's because momma pulled to hard when chewing the umbilical cord.

6. dntd

dntd Songster

Dec 4, 2009
    It looks like it's infected, mom must have cleaned it too much. When my kit(mini rex) had a nasty infection, I used a old stand by oif teatree oil I had in the house already, infection was going within a day.It might need to be lanced first.

7. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Songster

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Thanks all, he is the biggest and strongest of the litter so if its umbilical hernia I will just let it be and watch it to make sure it isnt an infection, pretty positive it isnt though

8. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Just thought I'd post a picture of my Pug pups hernia for reference, here you can see it between the quarter and his wee wee, lol.

[​IMG]

Do this resemble the bunny's bump?

9. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Songster

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:Hard to tell, but if this helps any its just a plan flat white ring, but it feels Hard UNDER the skin, not a bump above the skin, kinda like one of those ingrown zits but hard (nasty reference but only thing I can think of!)

10. ack123

ack123 Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    iv never seen that before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: