somethings wrong with the vent...?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AdrieeC, May 20, 2010.

1. AdrieeC

AdrieeC Pink Roses Farm

Mar 14, 2010
    Pearl River
    The hen is the oldest of the bunch but I am unsure of her exact age. Today dh went out to check on them and caught her and noticed that the butt feathers were wet and sticky. He thought it looked like egg. I had to bathe her to get a better look. Her vent is open and something red seems to be stopping it up it does not appear to be bleeding and she can pass stool that looks normal. She seems as active as she normally does, and looks like a healthy chicken otherwise. I am keeping her in the house for tonight for observation.

Does anyone know what this is and if there is anything i can do about it? She has water, but should I withhold food or provide it?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. AdrieeC

AdrieeC Pink Roses Farm

Mar 14, 2010
    Pearl River
    I still need some help with this issue! I have not been able to get a good look at the vent this morning but she will be inside so we can monitor her activities and such until it's solved. Last night she passed what looked like egg yolk and and another stool.

ideas anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by