Sometimes dark comb on Bantam Wyandotte

Michael Apple

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Northern California
I've never had to treat my Bantams for anything. I think the periodic darkening is a sign of respiratory difficulty. I keep the coop and yard tidy, so I doubt dust is the problem. I realize stress can sometimes darken the comb, but I hear some faint wheezing. When I was clipping his nails the other day, his comb was getting almost black and became weak. He quickly recovered after I set him back down. I tried a bit of VetRX but it doesn't seem to eliminate the faint wheezing. I've used Tylan 50 before at 1cc breast muscle injections on my standard breeds. Would 1/4 cc injection be acceptable for this Bantam cock?

Last edited:
He may also have some heart issues. The stress of nail clipping might also exacerbate this situation. The comb darkening is probably an indication of lowered blood/oxygen levels.

If the cause of his problem is respiratory in nature, the Tylan is a good choice. I am not certain of the dosage, a computer search should help there. If the problem is a heart condition, I doubt that there is anything that you can do except minimize his stress levels.

Injected 1/4 cc in the breast and a swab of VetRX poultry remedy on the roof of the mouth near the back of the throat. He seemed fine after as he bummed around with his hen watching me finish my new brooder. He gobbled up his afternoon snack of scratch too. I'll keep close watch on his breathing and treat for 2 more days if I see improvement.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom