1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sometimes dark comb on Bantam Wyandotte

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Michael Apple, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I've never had to treat my Bantams for anything. I think the periodic darkening is a sign of respiratory difficulty. I keep the coop and yard tidy, so I doubt dust is the problem. I realize stress can sometimes darken the comb, but I hear some faint wheezing. When I was clipping his nails the other day, his comb was getting almost black and became weak. He quickly recovered after I set him back down. I tried a bit of VetRX but it doesn't seem to eliminate the faint wheezing. I've used Tylan 50 before at 1cc breast muscle injections on my standard breeds. Would 1/4 cc injection be acceptable for this Bantam cock?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He may also have some heart issues. The stress of nail clipping might also exacerbate this situation. The comb darkening is probably an indication of lowered blood/oxygen levels.

3. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Do you know what would be good supplementation for improving blood/oxygen levels?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If the cause of his problem is respiratory in nature, the Tylan is a good choice. I am not certain of the dosage, a computer search should help there. If the problem is a heart condition, I doubt that there is anything that you can do except minimize his stress levels.

5. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Injected 1/4 cc in the breast and a swab of VetRX poultry remedy on the roof of the mouth near the back of the throat. He seemed fine after as he bummed around with his hen watching me finish my new brooder. He gobbled up his afternoon snack of scratch too. I'll keep close watch on his breathing and treat for 2 more days if I see improvement.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by