1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Sometimes Hard Decisions are Just That...Hard

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Schwartzfarmnc, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    For those like myself who pride themselves in chicken rearing and taking the best care of your flock when it comes down to making the tough decision to put down one of your birds it becomes somewhat unnerving to finally break down and do the deed. You want to make sure your flock is at peak performance and health and no we cannot solve every issue that arises within the scope of their community but this week was all I could handle.

We had a Delaware pullet that would terrorize the other girls while laying their eggs, she would constantly jump up and down and move into each and every box removing the other girls by pecking them or whatever she wanted to do to get them to move out and then jump back down from the nesting boxes and back up and do it again over and over all the while screaming. I have for weeks now tried to break her from the necessity of bullying the other girls, I've separated her and put her into another pen inside the coop but to no avail. So against all my efforts to talk myself out from removing her from the flock I had to do this for the health of the other girls who did not deserve such treatment and culled her. This is not anything I'd ever thought I could or would need to but I finally could not take the thought of what the others had to deal with while trying to lay their eggs and the stress they were under. I make these comments for the ones who have had to make these decisions before and for those who may in the future, it was emotionally tough to do and I feel sympathy for those who have dealt with before and for those who will in the future.

2. Hiram

Hiram Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    I've "culled" or as I prefer killed 3. It was hard but I reminded myself that they were my chickens not my dog. I could ate them if need be. In fact, the deed was harder than the decision. I made my mind up pretty quick as they were roos who made lots of noise. However I can relate.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You did what you had to do. Making the tough decision for the betterment of your flock proves you are a top notch chickenkeeper.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] Your girls peace was at stake here and yours! Time for dinner!

5. Schwartzfarmnc

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Thank you to all with the comforting comments.

If it were not one of my daughters birds we would have had a nice dinner so in turn we had a funeral.
    The betterment of the flock was the main reason, so you have to act when it comes down to it, just don't want to do it again.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Well hate to say but it MIGHT happen again but at least you will be prepared to do the deed again if it comes down to it. Some breeds are notorious for it and others very rarely have that kind of aggressiveness issues. Most common are the hatchery type birds.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yup, a very tough call for you. I'm at the point of trying to break one of my young layers from ripping feathers out of my poor BRs her age. She is in isolation in a dog kennel, hoping that a week alone will be enough to break her habit. If not, may have to try to sell her to see if a new environment will do the trick. It's not easy to cull a perfectly healthy laying hen for a bad habit so you have my sympathy.

8. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Quote:+1.

9. Schwartzfarmnc

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:I understand your frustrations too, I tried everything to get her to change but nothing seemed to work long term, so I agree with you 100% she was a good layer but the missing of 1 egg is worth the cost of a healthier and happier flock.

10. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by