Sometimes my chickens insist on eating treats from my hands only.. Does anyone else's chickens do th

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Krah24, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Krah24

Krah24 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    Sometimes when I give my hens bread, oats or other treats they won't eat it unless I offer it in my hands.
    I'll drop it on the ground and they'll just stare at me making little noises.. I'll even point it out and they'll follow my finger to the treat, look at it and nudge it but then won't eat unless I pick it up and put it my hands.. How weird is that??
    They don't always do this but they do it enough that I and others have taken notice of this behavior.
    It doesn't bother me I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this before?

Btw- it's only two of our hens that do this and one will do it more often than the other.
    We got these two girls (the hand treaters) when they were chicks and started them in the house before letting them go outside.
    My other 5 chickens were raised by our hens outside and they're very timid and won't come too close to us.
    I'm wondering if this behavior from my two older hens is because of us taking care of them as chicks.. Just a thought!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  2. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    It must taste better,I have hens that love to eat from my hands.My Dh has gotten attached to one little hen that has been broody for a month and that is the only way she will eat treats.is from his hand.Spoiled girls.[​IMG]

3. Krah24

May 30, 2013
    Haha maybe it does!
    A little treat with some skin?
    I agree, they're spoiled! :)

4. mmclaughlin

mmclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    My girls like to eat out of my hands too.especially grapes... if I drop them on the ground they look at me as if to say ummm they're dirty now!!! If I leave them there the do eventually eat them all but not till I leave the coop!!LOL!!!

5. flickerloo

flickerloo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2013
    NW Washington
    Yes, all the time. They are soooo spoiled! My Ameraucauna, who is still struggling to fit into the flock, as she was a recent rescue, insists on eating breakfast mash from my hands too!

6. Krah24

May 30, 2013
    That's exactly how my girls act too!
    They won't eat what I toss on the ground until I leave! Funny!
    My girls won't eat grapes though.
    I've tried several times but they always look at me like I'm crazy for trying to feed them such things.

7. Krah24

May 30, 2013
    It's kind of cute though right?
    Lol
    I'm just glad my girls aren't the only spoiled chickens out there! :)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  8. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    I have to laugh at your stories- sounds like our spoiled chickens as well.

They prefer to eat treats from the hand, and tug my clothing for a treat. We have one chicken who loves to fly in the apple trees to eat her heart's desire of apples.
    [​IMG]

We could give the flock a whole dried sunflower, and they just look at us like... Now how is that thing going to feed me? But pop a few sunflowers into my hand, and presto change-o... land piranas gone amuck.
    [​IMG]

9. Krah24

May 30, 2013
    Great pictures and good looking chickens! Who knew chickens can have so much personality!

10. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    Thats the best stuff I have heard on byc yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by