Sometimes they're so sweet

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Laffindog, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Laffindog

Laffindog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Texas
    Hubs and Boy are out of town this weekend, so it's just me and the critters. A few minutes ago I was sitting out in the chicken pen, just watching them.....Domino jumped up on my foot and just sat there for the longest time. The other three were nearby, all of us quiet and just enjoying the breeze and listening to the woodpecker doing his thing. They were grooming themselves and getting closer and closer to the door into the coop (they seem to have an internal alarm clock for when it's 8:30pm). Domino was still sitting on my foot and she started doing the leg stretch thing.

It was all I could do not to crack up laughing. [​IMG]

Sometimes they're so sweet.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I agree. In the evening I sit out with them, it's a bit cooler out, and they are just doing their chicken things, and I am just sitting there enjoying them.

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Im so glad others do this. Its my relaxation time, sitting with the chickens in the evening.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I love sitting with my girls. I hardly watch TV anymore!

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I have 6 of those plastic yard chairs sitting around the yard in strategic locations. Depending on who I want to spend the evening with, I have a couple chairs near by. I learned long ago not to leave the chair in the lots.

After a hot and humid Carolina day, there is nothing more relaxing then watching them enjoy the cooler air of the evenings.

At least till it is time to start shutting houses and setting traps(the neighbor's rats are back).

Matt

6. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I agree. Even my husband has turned that corner

7. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I love the little cooing noises my BR makes as she settles down in the evening. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  8. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Oh, I am so glad I am not the only one. I love sitting with my girls late afternoon early evening, just hanging out. They hop up on my lap, preen, scratch around for that last bug before they have to go in....it is a very sweet time, I would agree with you. It's quiet, peaceful, and quite lovely.
    I just love the flock sounds....
    Anne

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Try offering Domino your forearm if you're comfortable with this. Sometimes They'll stroke you sweetly with the underside of the foot before climbing on.

10. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    My favorite time is when everybody is settled in the barn for the evening. I try to sit there for a few minutes and talk softly to them while they are calming down. Then Snow White - the alarmist rooster - starts upsetting everybody with his extremely loud squawking!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by