Sometimes we can't tell the sex of a chicken, BUT:

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by akd23237, May 6, 2008.

1. akd23237

akd23237 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    wouldn't another chicken be able to let us know?

Yes, I'm new to owning chickens. I'm aware that with certain chickens like Silkies it's hard to tell for a long time whether it's male or female but after a certain age, wouldn't another rooster let you know?

This afternoon some people (looking for a new home for their rooster) dropped off a rooster in my yard. Thing is, I already have one although I'm not supposed to be keeping roosters where I live but the neighbors themselves gave the rooster to me and nobody complains around here. Anyways, so this rooster was dropped off in my yard, and like a magnet, my rooster and this other rooster were drawn to each other (keep in mind it's a very large yard) but they went directly to each other and started fighting but were immediately broken up. Needless to say, I made sure the rooster went back to where he came from.

After this I got to thinking, well if we can't tell whether the chicken is a rooster or not, wouldn't another rooster just let us know?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, by the time other roosters will start to mess with other roosters threatening "their" flock, we should be able to tell. Sometimes roosters and hens will fight too if the rooster is low on the order and ends up below the hens.... and I've seen more than once a rooster mate a low ranking rooster.... so... maybe but I think we'd be able to figure it out before another rooster would figure it out for us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by