Sometimes you just need to talk to chicken people

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tazcat70, Mar 25, 2009.

1. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Somehow my Orp pen came open. My roo and 2 of the 4 hens got out. My son came running in the house to tell me that my Orp rooster was fighting with my Wellie roo (the main flock is just loose in the yard.) I go running out there and the Orp roo has blood on his comb, we get him in the coop, and then start on corralling the girls. After getting everyone put away I make sure that every one is ok. They are thankfully, other than some blood on the combs.

My Orp roo is huge! My Wellie roo is a decent size, but the Orp seemed to be getting stomped. My husband was making jokes... It wasn't until later that I noticed that my big bad silkie roos had blood on them too. It looks like all three of them were ganging up on him.

They were out for a total of 15 min at the most....and I was trying to tell my husband that now the eggs aren't pure for sure and so I can't sell them for hatching purposes. He didn't GET it. [​IMG] He understood that the genetics part and said you can still EAT them.... [​IMG]

I think he is just happy that I won't be putting any in the bator. [​IMG]

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    It's a shame because they were probably so busy fighting that nobody bred anybodybut you can't guarantee that. Wish you would have thought to mark which two hens stayed behind in the pen, then at least you would have had those.

3. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I know which 2 were out. The black hen and the splash hen. The 2 blues stayed in the coop. The only thing is, I only know for sure what the black hen's egg looks like.

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I have read on here somewhere that you can drop some food coloring in the vent and it will mark the egg.
    edited to add I found it:
    The Q tip method works like this. Take a Q-tip and put the food coloring on it. Wipe it right on top of the vent area and when they lay and egg the coloring will come off on the egg It has worked for me every time. I learned it here also.​

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by