Somewhat a Newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GardenJen77, Mar 23, 2017.

1. GardenJen77

GardenJen77 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2017
    Central Michigan, USA
    Hello everyone!

I am from Central MI, and I am on year 2 of chicken ownership. We received our first set of 8 adult hens from friends last year who were reducing their flock to make room for some newcomers. This year, we are raising 16 chicks to increase our flock for some good composting action.

My adult hens are Black Australorps. When my friends had bought them, they were under the assumption that they were Jersey Giants. One of the reasons we got them. [​IMG] Our babies are Golden Laced Wyandottes. The hens are just starting to feather out nicely as they are weeks old. The cockrele, well, he's 2 weeks younger, and still a fluff ball, who is just now starting to get his wing feathers. [​IMG]

Both our coops were built by my loving husband out of scrap. The most recent one, was built from an old pop-up camper and is awaiting the finishing touches before the young chicks get moved in. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Enjoying every minute of learning how to raise these guys and being able to use them for composting, and their eggs to feed hungry families.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    1 person likes this.
  3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Congrats on your ever-growing flock! That sure helps to have a spouse that's handy with things like coop building.

Thanks for joining us!

1 person likes this.
  4. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Welcome to BYC! Your husband did a good job.

It's great to have you with us!

1 person likes this.
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, GardenJen77, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Awesome coops! Best wishes to you and your flock! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under GardenJen77 [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

8. GardenJen77

GardenJen77 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2017
    Central Michigan, USA
    Thank you all! ;-) I just put my babies outside in their coop yesterday. Watching them acclimate like a nervous momma, but they are doing great!

9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good deal, sounds like you're off to a fine start!

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to our wonderful forum! I am so glad you joined Backyard Chickens, I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by