Somewhat personal question for parents...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Frozen Feathers, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I just recently joined a playgroup, my daughter is 2 1/2. Well she started acting up at one of the play meets, so I put her time out, or what I call the "naughty spot" (really it's anywhere where I plop her down and she has to stay there) for 2 minutes. I told her why she was going in there, because she threw a fit. When her time was up, I again told her why she was in her "naughty spot" asked to apologize, told her I loved her and sent her back to play. She behaved to whole rest of the time.

Personally I think she understands the naughty spot and tries her best to stay out of it. Even just the threatening of the naughty spot will stop he in her tracks in most cases.

Here's the thing though, I felt like some of the other Moms thought it was strange that I was disciplining a 2 year old. One Mom said, "Well, we tried it once. We sent him to his room for 15 minutes but he trashed his room and it didn't work". She's telling me this and I'm thinking, well sure they are going to throw a fit, but if you are consistent, they will learn the quickest way to get out of time out is to calm down and get it over with.

So here's my question, is two years old too young to be getting disciplined??

I would like to hear other parents opinions.

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Angie, I think the fact that your daughter already understands the reasoning behind the naughty place, and adjusts her behavior accordingly, demonstrates that 2.5 years old is not too early to teach discipline.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    No, it's not too young in my opinion. The parents who send their children to their room - sorry but that (in my opinion) doesn't work - the child needs to be in sight so that you can make sure they're being disciplined (i.e. sitting quietly) instead of trashing their room. I'm sorry, but 15 minutes for a toddler is entirely too long (again, in my opinion).

Please don't let peer pressure keep you from disciplining your child, too many parents allow this to happen. It sounds like you have a great system going that works. [​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You are waaaay ahead of those other moms! If you don't start young they learn really quickly how to get away with whatever they want to. I think you're doing it right.

5. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    My son is 20 months and I do put him in time out. So many people tell me how well behaved he is. I think you should keep up what your doing if it is working. Sending a kid to his room will not work if you cant keep a eye on him. Where was she when he was trashing his room?

6. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I'm not a parent but I do babysit, putting a 2 year old in timeout for 15 minutes is WAY to long. Your supposed to put them in time out as long as they are old. For example since your daughter is 2 then 2 minutes was perfect.

7. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    We have raised 7 and they are all grown and prosperous.
    Ages 26 to 20. 2 boys and 5 girls.

Now I'm a little old school, but I think they are never too young to learn discipline. You teach people how to treat you old or young. Consistency is the answer!

Randy

8. GrayRoo

GrayRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    Chandler, Arizona
    In my opinion, it is not too young at 2 1/2 to discipline. The problem the other parents experienced was due to lack of supervision and excessive time. 15 minutes is a long time for a 2 year old. I think you are doing the right thing.

The emphasis should be intervention and consistentcy; not punishment (IMHO).

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You're doing a great job and she shows that she understands what's going on, too. Not too young at all for appropriate discipline.

10. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    i think it is great to start disipline at a young age. They find out who the boss is and learn how to behave. but here is another question. What do you think about spanking? i cant believe they are trying to out law it! a parent has the right to raise thier children the way they wish. i understand people who abuse thier children (that is just sick) but they shouldnt take the right away from us to disipline our kids. if we dont teach them at young age they will never learn. (i am just stating my opinion, and seeing what other people think about it. i am NOT trying to get thins post locked! so dont start an argument!)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by