Somthing is wrong with my ducks eye

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ethanteague1212, Apr 27, 2017.

1. ethanteague1212

ethanteague1212 New Egg

Apr 27, 2017
    We picked up 4 ducks from my moms friend and one of them is having a eye problem it has foamy stuff that covers it making it so she can't see out of it and it is almost like itnis swollen around the eye so the eye is further back I was wondering if any one knew what is wrong with her eye and how to fix it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

How long has this eye problem being going on? It looks pretty advanced. A vet visit would be best to see if her eye can be saved and to definitively diagnose the cause.

Ducks can have foamy eyes for a number of reasons, including respiratory infections and excessive breeding by drakes. It's critically important that ducks have constant access to clean water that's deep enough for them to blow their nares (nostrils) out, or they can become clogged and progress to symptoms like foamy eyes and/or infection. More info here: http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/just-ask-expert-why-does-duck-have-foamy-eye.

If a vet visit isn't an option, I'd ensure she has constant access to a pail of clean water with a splash of raw apple cider vinegar in it (ACV), and I'd start treating her eye with Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment.

Best of luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. Messica

Messica Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Minnesota
    That hurts me just to look at :(

The only way you're going to sort out what's causing it is via a vet visit unfortunately. Could be injury, illness, a congenital deformity that's taken a turn etc. There are things you can blindly try, but the quickest way to get her relief is to bring her in for a professional assessment and go from there.

4. ethanteague1212

ethanteague1212 New Egg

Apr 27, 2017

I received this duck from my moms friend like this
    Watched my big drake breed her he does get her right in that spot when he holds her Down and mounts her

I will look into a vet visit for her and will look into that oitment

Thanks for the help

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Keep her away from the drakes for now till she is healed.

Welcome to BYC @ethanteague1212

6. ethanteague1212

ethanteague1212 New Egg

Apr 27, 2017
    I have a smaller coop I could keep her in with water and food if that is a good idea it has a small run underneath it that should work

Thank you for your help!

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes place her there and maybe with another female for company they do much better if they have a friend and that they can still see the other ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by