1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Somthing keeps digging up my pet Graves

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by adroit14, Feb 7, 2016.

1. adroit14

adroit14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    Hi guys, it's been a while since I posted on the forum but I have a question. I have 2 pet Graves in the back of my yard, 1 rabbit and 1 duckling. They have been buried for about 2 months. Just a day ago, I noticed holes where they were buried. Like somthing was digging them up. I thought it was my ducks, but we put them in last night, and the holes got deeper so it couldn't of been them. Also, I don't know if this is related, but about 3 weeks ago I saw a dead duck in my yard ( which was not one of mine ). And I sew what looks like dog poop almost everyday near the duck pens. I t couldn't of been a dog because I have a 5 ft fence. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It sounds as if a fox may be visiting your yard.

3. Mini Meat

Mini Meat Chillin' With My Peeps

Worse case scenario... Your pets are digging themselves out of their graves. [​IMG]

Edit: I always put chicken wire and medium sized rocks over graves to prevent this problem.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  4. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    It could be a coyote or fox. I see coyotes running along the top of my 6' block wall around my property all the time so a 5' fence would be a walk in the park. I'd think a coyote or fox would've successfully dug the animals' bodies up in short order though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by