somwething stuck in mommas throat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lindsey8980, Nov 19, 2014.

1. lindsey8980

lindsey8980 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2014
    Wylie texas
    Today I was sitting out with my Chicky babies and I noticed one of them acting like something may be caught in it throat. Not choking but opening its mouth and acting like something may be stuck!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Check the crop for impaction or for being full and hard. Gaping is a sign of respiratory disease sometimes, and sometimes there could be a large food particle stuck in the airway. I would look into the throat with a light in case there is some odd tissue in there. Is she making any noises? Gapeworm is a rare type of worm that cancause gaping, but if she is able to eat and drink, that probably is not the problem.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How old are chicks? Birds will also open and close mouth when adjusting their crop,in this case it is normal.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  4. lindsey8980

lindsey8980 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2014
    Wylie texas
    They are about 14 weeks old nice and fat buff brahamas I think she may have just had some thing stuck and cleared it away on her own cause she has seemed to have stopped. I will check more closely in the am I usually drink my coffee and sit out with my girls

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by