1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Son cracked 20 eggs at 18 day in the incubator!!!!HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nikiroo, Jul 2, 2011.

1. nikiroo

nikiroo New Egg

Apr 8, 2008
    Son has cracked 20 georgia giant eggs at 18 days. The membrane is exposed on alot of them. This is my first set of quail eggs and I have been babying them. I was almost there!!! Is there anything I can do,some are cracked and crushed on each sides by his fingers. Please help anyone. Nikki

2. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I've heard people suggest covering damaged eggs with a wet paper towel or washcloth to keep the egg moist so the chick can get out...

3. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    If the membrane is still intact and their is no internal damage it is possible that you could save the chicks. As Squishypuff says, it's a good idea to cover the eggs with a wet paper towel so the membrane doesn't dry up, but it could also cause cooling. If the membrane is broken you've lost the chicks, and you should throw the egg away before it makes a mess. [​IMG]

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:+1, this - done this to other eggs and had hatches.

5. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Damp towel over the eggs to keep a little extra moisture to the membrane and let 'em keep incubating. Watch 'em on hatch day since you might have to peel off a little dried membrane from any hatching chicks. You are so close that I would give 'em a chance. Quail are fairly resilient and you might wind up with more than you think.

6. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    So sorry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by