son found a duck egg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by love laugh farm, Mar 20, 2013.

1. love laugh farm

love laugh farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    JACKSONVILLE
    my son found a duck egg by the pond at our house and i can't tell if it is dead or alive. when i candle it, there is a dark area but not through the entire egg, just on one side. i will post pics as soon as i figure out how.

2. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG]. To post photos click on the far left icon on the far right toolbar (the one with the smiley face) and then click on the upload files button to go to where they are on your computer. Good luck!

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

There used to be a minimum number of posts before pictures can be uploaded, do I remember that correctly?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    yes A I think it's 10 but it may be more now.

5. love laugh farm

Mar 20, 2013
    JACKSONVILLE
    i guess so, it wont allow me to attach the pics, but i can see the air sac, and the dark area, but what concerns me is all the pics i have seen of candled eggs have a larger dark area, and the area that is not dark is kind of splotchy.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If that's the case, then I suggest that ninatouchton "chat" with us a little bit here, so she can hit that post number and start uploading photo's. She may be asleep right now, though.....

7. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

What do you intend to do with that egg? Until you can put it in an incubator or shove it under a broody the egg might have been cold for too long and the embryo dead.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What breed of ducks do ya'll have on your pond ninatouchton? and where was the egg at? close to an abandoned nest? if so it may not be any good.what are the temps where you are at?

9. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    How cool! What kind is it, do you know?

10. love laugh farm

Mar 20, 2013
    JACKSONVILLE
    its a gadwall duck in a community pond in my neighborhood. the egg was alone in a bush for about a full day, last night my son went to see what kind of duck it would be and it still wasn't there, it being cold last night he was worried it would die and brought it home to keep warm. i googled how to make a home-made incubator and we made it, the egg is staying around 95-98 degrees in there. i stuck mu nose to it and it doesn't have a smell to it so i wasn't sure if it was still alive, and i don't want to risk the little guy dying if it has a chance!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by