Son shattered foot dirt biking..UPDATE

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by lilshadow, May 2, 2009.

1. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    on Saturday of last week. He dirt bikes on Saturdays, and last week I get a call saying we think he broke his foot. They bring him home, and his foot made it in the door first. I said turn around and put him back in the car it's broken. Go to ER, and cat scan shows that he has broken every bone, but 3 metatarsals. The most fractures are 15 in one bone (navicular), least amount of fractures are 4. We were referred to Ortho surg. and he said that he needed surgery, and that there are only 2 docs in this state that can do the surgery my son needs. He said he couldn't help us. So we were sent to the one surgeon that could, and we go in on Weds. The doctor said it was like taking a light bulb and dropping it on the floor, and that is what my sons foot looks like. He said he could fix him. This kid still wants to ride dirt bikes. Wish us luck on Weds. I hate it when one of my boys has to go under, it scares the dickens out of me. It will be a long recovery though. He will have to have one more surgery in 6 months to remove all the metal the doc is putting in his foot. Screws, pins, and plates.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    hope everything turns out for the best

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    sending lots of good thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Wow, that is very scary. I will be wishing for the best for your son during his surgery. How old is he? What kind of dirt bike?
    [​IMG]

5. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i wouldn't worry about it extensively, but im sure it's hard from the parent's perspective. i've gotten my share of broken legs & ribs along with a fractured tail bone and a sprained NECK! all while snowboarding, BMX biking and skateboarding. all just as dangerous.

I hope your son heals swiftly and hopes that he is safe when he gets back on the bike [​IMG] and heres hoping that he doesn't crash so bad anymore, it really sucks to be in the hospital for things like that.

remember, doctors like to make the injury sound worse than it actually is. they said i wouldn't walk for two more months and i was up back on the snowboard in less than 2 weeks.

best wishes from a fellow extreme sport anthusist!

6. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    i broke my talis bone in 5 pieces, i was flown to baltimore to one of the best surgeons in the country, he's pioneer in ankle replacements, i'm proud to say that he told me i'm the worst talis fracture he ever seen, i still have a lot of pain because of the arthritis, but thank God i can walk, i'll say a prayer for your son, i know how it feels [​IMG]

7. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    prayers!

8. bradandcas

bradandcas Out Of The Brooder

sounds nasty but at least he can keep his foot....i have ridden moto x and sports bikes for many years and seen a lot of guys come out worse from it... Encourage gearing up in all the safety essentials, quality boots, gloves, armour, nylons and of course helmet and the confidence will return as a rider and as a spectator as it makes a huge difference....

Prayers from down under

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Voice of experience! Ricky did that doing tricks on his fancy bike and was put back together very well, and is now in Naval basic going for water rescue. It will work out!

10. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Quote:He is 17 and he has a suzuki 125cc. He had a summer job and bought it himself, and rebuilt the motor and everything himself.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by