Son went to a poultry meeting and came home with chicks...:)...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WitchChick, Nov 26, 2011.

1. WitchChick

WitchChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2011
    Hello!
    I found BYC while searching for pics of pullets to compare (roo or hen??).

We are brand new chicken owners. My 9yr old son joined a 4H poultry project so that he could learn more about chicks for our FUTURE chickens. Daddy went with him to the first meeting because I was working, and they came home with two chicks. They are about 2 months old.

We had 2 white leghorns. One of the reasons I said "future" chickens is because we have to build a Fort Know coop.....I have a 4 yr old German Shepard who does not understand that the chicks are not for his entertainment/food. Even though we had a long family meeting to discuss "safety", after 3 days the dog grabbed the opportunity of a 1 second brain lapse of one of my kids....and one of our chicks. I believe the chick died of a heart attack, since I got it out of his mouth without it being visibly harmed. it was all very traumatic, and a good lesson for my kids why they must remember that their fluffy GS is still an instinctive hunter.

After much discussion, we decided to get another chick. I gave you all the drama, [​IMG]...now to answer the questions:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    Yes, brand new. We got our chicks on Oct. 23, and they were about 4 weeks old.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    Two [​IMG]

(3) What breeds do you have?
    White Leghorn and Silver Laced Wyandotte.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    I was looking for pictures to see if we may have a roo....

I will combine (5) What are some of your other hobbies? and (6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    [​IMG]..I homeschool my kids, 9 & 14..so my free time is limited. I live in suburbia, and am trying to convert our small space into a food area. My "job" is making Kitchen Witches & Goddess pendants, which I sell via my website. I love the ocean & redwoods, and go hiking with my dog as much as possible. He is a 4yr old German Shepard, a bit overgrown (I always get "He is HUGE!" when we are out and about. He is. ), and a constant student of dog training [​IMG]. I really enjoy big dogs, and one day hope to have enough land to open a dog training facility. He is also my biggest worry with our new chicks, because he REALLY wants them. My son is a chicken whisperer [​IMG]. He used to clean the chicken coop at a local organic farm just so he could be with chickens, lol. They would hop in his arms, and he carried them around like cats. He wanted nothing in the world than his own chickens, and now he has them. Luckily, by homeschooling and being very active in 4H with my kids, I get to learn and meet resourceful people as I venture on this journey of sustainability.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

4. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    WELCOME! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

6. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Welcome!

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

My kind a kid! You're definately in the right place. Anything you want to know is here, plus you can post question about any concerns.

8. Romochickencrazy

Romochickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello from PA. Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

9. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome to BYC! Congrats on some new chickens!

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] Welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by