1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Songbirds eating my chicken food

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KRANKOR, Jan 30, 2009.

1. KRANKOR

KRANKOR New Egg

Jan 30, 2009
    These pesky songbirds are eating more than my 8 hens (ok almost as much) (well, nearly as much) (too much) out of my hanging feeder and with feed as high as it is, I'm losing money on my backyard egg sales business.

How can I keep them away???

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I had the same problem until I switched to using a Kuhl RF50 Pheasant Range feeder from Cutler Supply. They hold about 50# of feed and work real well. I've never seen any othdr birds feeding from them. They cost about $70

3. KRANKOR

KRANKOR New Egg

Jan 30, 2009
    Thanks Sam

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Are the wild birds entering the run to get at the hanging feeder?

If so, this would be a concern of mine because wild birds, as pretty as they are, can spread parasites and disease to your chickens.

5. everyonesmomtwo

everyonesmomtwo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2008
    I have the same problem and yes the birds enter the coop. I've tried everything to keep them out. I've started to spreed the DE every where just in case of illness. I even spread food on the ground to try and keep them out, no luck.
    Suggestions?
    Sorry to jump into your post, but it seemed silly to start another with the same problem. [​IMG]
    Ruth

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i finally found a good net for my front yard [​IMG] 100x100 for $50 ,, is way better stuff then the cheap stuff at tractor supply.,,, but,, it doesnt help on them sparrows comming through the chain link fence [​IMG] [​IMG]
    i think the wild birds have a plan to take over all coops.... [​IMG]

7. Eric in NC

Eric in NC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2008
    Quote:Where did you find a good net that cheap if you don't mind telling us?

8. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Sparrows used to get in my coop and eat the food from the feeders, but don't much now. One of my cats has learned that the roost is a great place to ambush them from as they come in the pop door, and the birds pretty well stay away now.

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:Where did you find a good net that cheap if you don't mind telling us?

i would if it was new,,, [​IMG] ,, but its a used 1,, guy use to rent them to the oilfield companies,,, he has 300x300 ,, imma gonna see what kind of deal i can get them at [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by