Songkhran Flowers To Brighten The Day

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by thaiturkey, Apr 12, 2012.

1. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Songkhran is Thailand's traditional New Year Festival and today is the old New Year's Day. I'll pass over the modern versions of the water festivities and mention only the tradition that still survives in the villages.

Thai children are brought up to respect their parents and to care for them as they grow old. On New Year's Day, the children note this by putting flowers in the cupped hand of parents and other seniors and pouring water on top, offering wishes for a long and healthy life.

Times are difficult still for many and those who suffer cold winters may need some cheer. We can't send you water but we can show you some of the flowers that appear here at the end of the dry season.

Happy Songkran! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Beautiful! :)

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Very pretty.Thanks for sharing the pics and a bit on the culture.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Lovely photos! Always neat to learn about other cultures.

5. thaiturkey

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    New Year's day is almost over here but the celebrations will continue for another two or three days because people have travelled far to spend some time with their families. The music from the parties has finished until tomorrow and we have enjoyed the peace and quiet of our verandah for a few hours.

Peace and quiet to a degree, that is. The fire flies and bats were absent but we listened to the occasional call of a tukay (gekko) and a tree frog. I just love the country sounds.

I haven't got my own gekko pics. yet but here's one from the internet. People often try to get rid of them but they are useful for keeping down the bugs, smaller lizards and even scorpions. They mind their own business if you leave them alone. See how he smile at you with those doleful eyes?

[​IMG]

6. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing. That's a sweet tradition you have, with the flowers.
    We sometimes get frogs here that you can hear if you're quiet, but more often than not other sounds aren't audible under that of the crickets.

7. thaiturkey

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    We have crickets too but after rain the frogs drown out even them. They are a delicacy here and, at the right times, our neighbours are out for most of the night hunting them with lamps on their heads. I never even enjoyed the French restaurant frogs legs so they're not for my taste. People say that they taste like chicken so I'm happy to stick with that!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  8. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    I never much cared for the taste of frog either,.
    Then again, a lot of things are claimed to taste like chicken. :lol:

Night hunting, huh? Sounds cool. I bet that'd be something to see from afar, with all the lights!

9. thaiturkey

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Many village people still hunt small animals and fish but for food rather than sport. It's done at night becasue of the daytime heat.

10. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    I imagine it would be hard work. It would be so interesting to experience what village life is like! I've lived in the city all my life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by