Sonoma County, CA: Share Mareks innuculation anyone??

dldolan

WineNChooks
13 Years
Aug 11, 2010
Sonoma County, CA
Hi,
Is anyone hatching chicks around the 31st Dec-Jan 2 and would like to share the Marek's innoculation? Seems silly to have the 1000 chick innoculation for only 5 chicks (if all five eggs manage to hatch under my broody hen!).
Please email me if you'd like to share the cost & get together to do this. I'm in Alexander Valley but should be able to put the new family in the cat crate and travel...???
Thanks,
D-

Here's my broody blue cochin who's currently locked down hard on five BFCM eggs... Got her off today after 5 days without moving. She was surprised to find she could actually eat and drink...!

What a good idea
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
WHAT? Tell me about this, please! I have no intention of taking the chicks away from mama, so I'd better understand...
Dawn

Quote:
WHAT? Tell me about this, please! I have no intention of taking the chicks away from mama, so I'd better understand...
Dawn

If you do not properly quarantine a vaccinated chick for at least 10 days, it can get Marek's. It may not show symptoms, but will shed the virus. Quarantine means starting the chicks in a sanitized brooder with sanitized equipment, not putting the brooder in the coop, not wearing the same clothes in the coop that you wear taking care of the chicks, not letting the kids pet the chickens and come in and handle the chicks, not storing the chick food in the coop, washing your hands before handling the chicks, etc, etc, etc. It's a pain in the butt, but it can save your flock. The lack of quarantine is the reason for vaccine failure. A vaccinated chick can harbor marek's if it was not properly quarantined.

The vaccine does not just prevent symptoms. It prevents the disease if the chick was properly vaccinated and quarantined. If the chick was vaccinated but not properly quarantined you may end up with a bird that has the disease but has enough immunity to not show symptoms. The quarantine is just as important as the vaccine.

There are lots of threads on Mareks .... here are a couple.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=39918

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=123682

Yes, Jan 1st! Right next door to you, well a town or two over- but close-- doing a Marek's vaccine demo at my place for some fellow chicken friends. Well, that is if any of my hatching eggs hatch. Incubator #1 is behaving, but incubator #2 was at 127 degrees yesterday. Not much hope for those sad cooked eggs.
tongue.png

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chickenchatcoop/

see post in the above yahoo group for details on demo, e-mail me if you want to come over. no cost for the vacccine, you can take home the extra if you don't want to travel with chicks.

Hi and thank you, mypicklebird!
I will plan to come (if I get any chicks!). I'll PM you for the address and particulars.

kathyinmo, thank you, too. After reading both links that I appreciate you providing, it doesn't seem like a problem to vaccinate them and still keep them separated in the broody area with my surrigate cochin, who had the vaccination (as did the rest of my flock of 7). They can't give her the disease as she's immune, which seems backed up by the DMV on the first post who says', "I am not aware of them shedding the vaccine virus. The good news is that the vaccine viruses do not cause disease so your [other] chickens are safe".
Yikes, nothing is ever simple these days, it seems.

Thanks to you both!
dawn

Back
Top Bottom