Son's turkey...Blackhead or normal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Butterball, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Butterball

Butterball Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    My son is raising Broad Breasted Giant White turkeys for 4-H. We have had Royal Palm Turkeys, chickens, and guineas for years, but this is a first w/ the giant white. Anyway, I have no idea what blackhead looks like (though I know all of the symptoms from every book and every post I've read-so i've got the symptoms covered.) However, I've never actually seen a turkey or another bird with blackhead. My son's giant white's beaks have turned black right at the base-where it meets the head though they otherwise seem healthy. Giant white turkeys have pink beaks though-right? I will be giving them cayenne pepper today either way, but I wanted to know if this was normal.

I feel like I'm going crazy trying to find a photograph of a turkey with blackhead, which must be impossible! [​IMG]

I do not have a photo with me of his turkeys, but will try to get on that.

Thanks!

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    if they had blackhead they would be SICK, the black your talking about is normal. your other turks would also be sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by