Soo confused

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jerseycoop, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hi I'm new to raising chickens. I have 3 RIR's 3 light Brahma's and an EE. I've been reading about samonella outbreaks, worms etc that affect chickens and it worries me. [​IMG] I was told my chicks were vaccinated at the hatchery before Agway received them. I do know they came out of Texas..I'm here in NJ. I'm not sure what the hatchery vaccinated them for [​IMG] Are there vaccinations I need to continue or do for my chicks? If they're fine let them be? And if I did have to vaccinate where would I go for the meds? someone please help [​IMG]

2. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Can you call Agway and find out what hatchery they are from? Most chicks are vaccinated against Marek's but beyond that, I'm not sure... I think the hatchery's webpage would detail what the standard shots are. I've never vaccinated my flock, but I am new to chickens.

3. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    Hello I am from NJ toooo.... I don't get my chicks from Agway.... but I know that the one here (Englishtown) gets thier chicks and ducklings from Ideal Hatchery. They are vaccinated againt Mereks and I believe cocci but I am not sure. If you keep your coop clean and tidy you should not have to many problems. I haven't had any issues with worms or mites. I think that worms are something you just can't help sometimes... my chickies will eat anything they find. I don't know of any other vaccinations you would need, I would leave them be. My Agway has all the medications you would need.. you might have to ask for them sometimes. This is a great place to get information and help [​IMG]

Where are you in NJ?????

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If you have chicks, are they on medicated starter feed? Many hatcheries will vaccinate against mareks. Between that and med. feed, I'd think your chicks will be safe. When they're mature, you can choose to do preventative worming once or twice a year (wormer that goes in their water). Some do, some don't. Tractor Supply supplies basic fowl wormers, or you can buy them on-line. Really, most chickens grow up perfectly healthy with just feed, fresh water, and shelter. Enjoy your birds and try not to worry so much [​IMG]

5. Jerseycoop

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Haha I'm in Manalapan! And yes I bought my chicks from agway in Englishtown. Nice to chat with someone so close by. Does Englishtown Agway carry meds if ever needed? Or would this be something a vet would handle? Everything is fine now but I'm sure a day will arise that one of them will need some sort of attention and wanted to be educated before hand...thanks so much! [​IMG]

6. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  7. Jerseycoop

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Thanks! I think I've been reading too many topics on here lol! Yes, they are on the medicated chick starter feed. I'm not sure if there's a tractor supply store nearby but I'll look into it. Thank you so much for your guidance!

8. flnatv

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Edited my post above with the article for anyone interested.

9. Jerseycoop

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:That's the topic that started my worrying! I do know my girls came from Texas from Ideal Hatchery, but it makes you think a little when you have young children who love to hold them! Thanks

10. flnatv

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Just make sure the kids wash their hands...

There are SOOO many pets diseases that you cannot protect against everyone... just be diligent and remind them to wash after handling.

I don't seem to get as worried as others because my degree is Microbiology.... [​IMG] you would think I would be OVER worried....

I feel you need a little exposure to bacteria to become resistant to it...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by