Soon ? ! ? ! GOT EGGS

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mk4lh, Sep 18, 2009.

1. mk4lh

mk4lh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Swanzey
    [​IMG]

I hope I did this right. My ladies (BR) are 18 weeks old and their combs and wattles are turning very red and two days ago a couple of them started the squatting behavior. This is my first experience with layers andam sooo excited for the first egg.

wife, mother of 3 young adults, 3 dogs, and 26 barred rocks

[​IMG]

the top one is a store bought extra large. My ladies are two days away from 19 weeks.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  2. karl lutz

karl lutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Good luck! My barred girls are the same age as yours and they have not laid a single egg.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Mine are not BR but they started at 18 weeks. It could still be a few weeks, but yours look like they could be pretty close. I'd make sure the nesting boxes are opened and the fake eggs are in place to show them where. Don't be surprised to find the first eggs on the floor of the coop or about anywhere until they figure out what is going on.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    What ridgerunner said.

Just wanted to add that I have silver penciled rocks that JUST began to lay this week....they are 27 weeks.

5. mk4lh

mk4lh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Swanzey
    Thanks Ridgerunner, the nesting boxes are ready complete with a couple of golf balls in each.

6. mk4lh

mk4lh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Swanzey
    [​IMG][​IMG] FIRST EGGS

[​IMG]

Here's what I came home today this afternoon. I found them in the tote I have set up for their dust bathing.
    oops the top one is a large store bought egg.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by