Soon to be a chicken lady - upstate NY

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by megsgodmom, Jan 6, 2009.

1. megsgodmom

megsgodmom New Egg

Jan 5, 2009
    hi
    very, very new to the "chicken world". I live in upstate NY and have decided to keep chickens. I have done lots of reading and visited 2 people who have coops to decide what I need. I have decided on only 5 or so chickens. I am looking to make the easiest coop I can that will be ok with the tough winters we have!
    I have decided to buy birds that are already laying as opposed to chicks. I havent decided on a breed or what type of coop yet - not sure with our weather and all - hoping to learn from this board.
    You "chicken" people seem to be a friendly lot !!:
    I have 2 boys age 17 months and 2 1/2 years, 1 dog Annabelle, 1 mean old cat Ginger, lots of fish and a goregous wonderful DH !!!
    I think I posted this in the middle of someone elses introduction. let's hope I am better at raising chickens than I am at the computer

2. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    first i want to say [​IMG]
    second where in upstate are you?
    third you say you only about 5 chickens, good luck with that one. you WILL be a chicken lady.
    my husband and friends call me the chicken lady. lol

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG]

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

5. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!

6. megsgodmom

megsgodmom New Egg

Jan 5, 2009
    I live in Webster - western NY -up by Lake Ontario. Is 5 chickens a lot or a little? I just wanted to have some eggs for me and my family and have some fun with my boys. I love animals and the people that I have talked to have told me how much fun they have had with chickens.

7. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    [​IMG]

Chickens are very addicting. I went from 4 to 10 in about 4 months and this spring I will probably triple my flock....shh did I say that out loud? [​IMG]

Ps- this forum is also very addicting!

8. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    well five is little. my husband said i could have 6..........i came home with 42. that is when he asked "what was i thinking" ? anyway now i am up to 2 incubators going and added about 2 hens and 2 roos and have hatched 50+ chicks and i am looking for a cabinet style bator. i got my chickens in sept, so whats that four months?
    o, i aslo have quail and i am hatching some ducks.
    that is an example of how crazy it can get FAST

9. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    [​IMG]

LOL it is a very addicting place... but that's only bcause it's awesome!!!! [​IMG]

10. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by